Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 109: Asthma and Qi Gong

I had a doctor's appointment today with my Pulmonary Physician's Assistant.  I really like her.  I do not go to my primary care physician anymore.  It was like entering the Twilight Zone.  I have nothing else to say about that experience. I am just moving forward.

I found out today, that I do indeed have asthma.  That is my official diagnosis. Not COPD as my previous doctor said "I probably had".

She was quite pleased with all my hard work and progress.  We are going to try increasing the dosage of the Q-Var, which is an inhaled steroid medication used to treat asthma. It is used daily as a long term treatment, it is used to prevent inflammation in the lungs. It is not a "rescue inhaler", like Ventolin which is a bronchodilator.  I use Ventolin when I am having trouble breathing, or controlling a very constricted cough. This inhaler opens up the airways during an asthma attack and helps me control my breathing and coughing.

I told my PA I haven't had to use my rescue inhaler in about a week. I haven't been coughing at night, and my sinuses are not as clogged.  My chest feels slightly congested today, but better than several weeks ago.

I told her about Qi Gong and my diet.  She nodded her approval. But as a medical professional, I understand she would not be able to prescribe alternative treatments.

We talked about long term side effects of the meds I am taking. She stated I could also take an over the counter allergy pill since hay fever season is in full swing. She recommended Zyrtec. She assured me all of the meds I am on are safe and do not interact with each other. 

"It is in your best interest to do whatever you can to breathe better", she advised.

I agree!

It does make sense to increase the Q-Var. I have been on a very low dose.

She will see me in three months. If I have not made any more progress, we may consider the next level of medications. One of which is an injection.

I am hoping I can stay balanced at this level. The less meds, the better. I am still going strong with Qi Gong. In fact, I think I owe quite a bit of my healing to the breathing exercises!

I am at the Fort Vancouver Library now. I just checked out another book on Qi Gong: Women's Qigong for Health and Longevity: A Practical Guide for Women 40 and Over by Deborah Davis.

I am definitely doing my research!

I am sticking to my wheat free/soy free eating.  I really feel this helps.  More water is always on my list.  I probably need to start carrying a water bottle with me.  I like to travel as light as possible, but I am still not drinking enough H20.

I may be moving yet again this summer. My granddaughter is sleeping in a crib in her mom and dad's room. And that is not going so well. For her parent's sanity, and everyone's rest, she needs her own room. We currently have a two bedroom apartment. We have not yet decided what the next living situation will be, but I definitely want to be involved in the daily life of this child. She is so precious, intelligent and creative. Plus, she loves music like her Zma!

Lately we have been having daily "piano lessons" - only about 5 minutes or so, but enjoyable for both of us!

I am  leaning towards finding a church pianist job.  I miss playing piano regularly and this would give me financial security in addition to teaching, for a room or maybe even a small apartment.

Even if I keep living with my family, I think I would like a church job. I've been subbing at churches in the are for the last several years. I will keep it in  my prayers. Hopefully God will point the way to a lovely church that needs a pianist!

On that note, I am going to head home and do some reading, practicing and playing with granddaughter.

I have 4 church services coming up in April.  Need to keep these fingers in shape. And hopefully my lungs will hold out!

Happy Wednesday!

Talk to  you soon.

Love,

Zita



P.S. Today's hooping video got cut short. My granddaughter cut in and decided she wanted to play her "crawling through the hoop" game! It is Day 26, Part 1, because I am hoping to do Part 2 later!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i