Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 95: Embracing Grandmahood and Silver Strands!

I did it! I went to the gym yesterday! 

It was frigid cold.  But the sky was clear and the most scrumptious shade of blue.  Not much wind. So I got myself vertical and walked briskly through the park to the bus stop. I had a nice easy treadmill workout. Then I decided to walk to the church next door. 

They are a very welcoming, community oriented church. One of their focuses is serving the homeless. I like walking in and feeling at home.  There is always free hot tea and tables available. I had a nice cup of Earl Grey tea and found myself a table near one of the big screens so I could watch the service while I did my Bible study and prayer journaling. 

When the sermon started, I felt compelled to enter the area of worship. I am glad I did.  I stood in the back against the wall. I wept during the praise songs.  It felt like my soul was being cleansed. I was glad for the darkness, and the large crowd. The solitude I feel in a crowd has nothing to do with loneliness. I like being alone in a crowd. Especially when I can cleanse my soul.

After church, I headed back over to the gym and had a lovely lung cleansing session in the steam room.

Then it was back home to care for my daughter. She needed massive sinus cleansing. A very bad cold virus hit her hard. Her baby is 18 months old and very active. I went into full grandma mode, making curried lentil soup, a pot of brown rice and much tea.

It is nice to feel needed. And it was revealed to me this morning on my walk that I need to embrace this stage of my life. I don't need to lose weight to look younger. I need to get healthy to enjoy these golden years. And embrace grandmahood!  I have even made the brave decision to stop coloring my hair. I earned each one of these silver strands! :)


This morning I did not have as much trouble getting vertical, despite having spent much of my night coughing up a lung. (Or so it felt).  But I slept with my loyal CPAP machine.  And I did not watch Law and Order SVU last night before bed (on daughter's orders. She claims it makes me unstable emotionally. She may be right. I had not nightmares!)

I did my morning hooping at 6:00 a.m. and then had a lovely breakfast with my mom at our favorite diner.  With our favorite server!

And now I am off to teach piano students.

Below is my hooping video.  I told my mother that I am back on track with daily exercise. My mother looked at me and with a most serious tone replied, "Zita you must exercise every day. I have been walking daily since I retired over 10 years ago. It has kept me alive!"

On that note, I wish you a happy Monday full of good health and life!

Talk to you tomorrow.

Love,

Zita

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i