Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 199: Peaks and Valleys/PHJ

Today is a very good day.  My daughter looked at me from the kitchen as she was making her coffee.  I was laughing.  She cocked one eyebrow up and me.

"I'm having a good day", I explained. "I'm probably about a 7".

"You're an 8!", she said knowingly.

We've been tracking my moods again. She told me she is generally about a 5 in the morning before coffee. Afterwards, a 6 or 7.  She rarely changes.

Me?  I was about up high on the mountain Saturday. About a 9.  Yesterday, I was on the edge of the abyss. About a 2. But I fought really hard. Because I didn't want to dampen the spirits of anyone at my grand niece's party.  By the end of the party, I was about a 5.  Being around family is something I avoid when I'm low. But their presence usually brings me back up. Whether they know I am low or not. It usually is best not to say anything.

Except for my daughter. She knows.  She can tell my number just looking at my face!

Bless her heart.

My mood tracking is on a number basis now:

Depression: 0 = no depression/ 10 = the Abyss
Anxiety: 0 = no anxiety/ 10 = Anxious train wreck
Irritability: 0 - no irritation/10 = The B*tch
Peace, Happiness and Joy (PHJ):  0 is pretty much depressed/10 is Ecstatic


So when my daughter and I declare our numbers, we are talking about PHJ.

It does help to track. It helps to blog.

But what really helps is a good nights sleep;  fasting; breaking a fast with fresh veggies, fruits, whole grains and coffee or tea; and a feeling of accomplishment.

I had all of that today so far! My daughter decided to work from home instead of going into the office. Then she went to the grocery store and loaded up with all the ingredients for the healthy meals we like to make. Then she came home, with grocery and bearing a gift of coffee for me. I put away the groceries and she grabbed her daughter and whisked her off to a play date with her friend.

Then, having the place to myself, I made my healthy first meal:


Healthy first meal:  Kale, cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, boiled potatoes cilantro lime rice, chopped fruit, hummus and coffee.
Next, I cleaned up and did a load of laundry. Did my bible study and journaling and practiced the piano. By the time my daughter and granddaughter came home, it was toddler nap time. I grabbed my book and walked briskly to the bus stop. I am now at the library.  

Luckily I do not teach today. I really needed a day off!  

And how convenient that my day off and my #8 PHJ coincide!

I'm almost finished with The Plague, by Albert Camus, easily one of the most profound books I've ever read in my life!

I see my therapist tomorrow. He was one that recommended it. I think I'll ask him for another book recommendation. In the meantime I picked up a book by Bill Clinton and James Patterson: The President is Missing, which is described as a "political thriller".  Sounds fun! I am curious about Bill Clinton and James Patterson collaborating on a novel. I will be sure and give you my review.

I mentioned that I slept well last night. My allergies were not bothering me, so I was able to wear my CPAP mask. I don't often sleep with it when my nose is plugged. I slept deep until about 3:00 a.m. Usually when I wake at the wee hours, I open Twitter or Facebook and get caught up on the world. 

But usually it disturbs me, I fall back to sleep and oversleep, feeling most groggy!

So this morning I did some research for a column I plan on writing for my church job.  I will be giving the background on Lutheran hymns. And who better to start with than Martin Luther!

I was thrilled to find out that the plague greatly affected Martin Luther, his family and his inspiration for hymn writing.

That sounds horrible. Of course, I am not thrilled that anyone suffered with the plague. But having just read a novel about the plague, (which by the way was based on the cholera epidemic in Algeria, where Albert Camus was born), I have plague on the brain!  So it was serendipitous that I read about the connection with Martin Luther, who I have been obsessed with for some time.

Him being a rebel and all.  (My therapist mentioned I have rebel tendencies!)

On that note, this rebel needs to run!
I am so proud of myself for sticking to my daily routine. Daily hooping, daily bible study, prayer and journaling, daily piano practice, daily fasting and daily blogging. You, my dear reader are a part of  my personal growth!

Happy Monday!

Talk to you TOMORROW!

Love,


Zita






Today's Hooping Video: Day 149!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...