Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 199: Peaks and Valleys/PHJ

Today is a very good day.  My daughter looked at me from the kitchen as she was making her coffee.  I was laughing.  She cocked one eyebrow up and me.

"I'm having a good day", I explained. "I'm probably about a 7".

"You're an 8!", she said knowingly.

We've been tracking my moods again. She told me she is generally about a 5 in the morning before coffee. Afterwards, a 6 or 7.  She rarely changes.

Me?  I was about up high on the mountain Saturday. About a 9.  Yesterday, I was on the edge of the abyss. About a 2. But I fought really hard. Because I didn't want to dampen the spirits of anyone at my grand niece's party.  By the end of the party, I was about a 5.  Being around family is something I avoid when I'm low. But their presence usually brings me back up. Whether they know I am low or not. It usually is best not to say anything.

Except for my daughter. She knows.  She can tell my number just looking at my face!

Bless her heart.

My mood tracking is on a number basis now:

Depression: 0 = no depression/ 10 = the Abyss
Anxiety: 0 = no anxiety/ 10 = Anxious train wreck
Irritability: 0 - no irritation/10 = The B*tch
Peace, Happiness and Joy (PHJ):  0 is pretty much depressed/10 is Ecstatic


So when my daughter and I declare our numbers, we are talking about PHJ.

It does help to track. It helps to blog.

But what really helps is a good nights sleep;  fasting; breaking a fast with fresh veggies, fruits, whole grains and coffee or tea; and a feeling of accomplishment.

I had all of that today so far! My daughter decided to work from home instead of going into the office. Then she went to the grocery store and loaded up with all the ingredients for the healthy meals we like to make. Then she came home, with grocery and bearing a gift of coffee for me. I put away the groceries and she grabbed her daughter and whisked her off to a play date with her friend.

Then, having the place to myself, I made my healthy first meal:


Healthy first meal:  Kale, cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, boiled potatoes cilantro lime rice, chopped fruit, hummus and coffee.
Next, I cleaned up and did a load of laundry. Did my bible study and journaling and practiced the piano. By the time my daughter and granddaughter came home, it was toddler nap time. I grabbed my book and walked briskly to the bus stop. I am now at the library.  

Luckily I do not teach today. I really needed a day off!  

And how convenient that my day off and my #8 PHJ coincide!

I'm almost finished with The Plague, by Albert Camus, easily one of the most profound books I've ever read in my life!

I see my therapist tomorrow. He was one that recommended it. I think I'll ask him for another book recommendation. In the meantime I picked up a book by Bill Clinton and James Patterson: The President is Missing, which is described as a "political thriller".  Sounds fun! I am curious about Bill Clinton and James Patterson collaborating on a novel. I will be sure and give you my review.

I mentioned that I slept well last night. My allergies were not bothering me, so I was able to wear my CPAP mask. I don't often sleep with it when my nose is plugged. I slept deep until about 3:00 a.m. Usually when I wake at the wee hours, I open Twitter or Facebook and get caught up on the world. 

But usually it disturbs me, I fall back to sleep and oversleep, feeling most groggy!

So this morning I did some research for a column I plan on writing for my church job.  I will be giving the background on Lutheran hymns. And who better to start with than Martin Luther!

I was thrilled to find out that the plague greatly affected Martin Luther, his family and his inspiration for hymn writing.

That sounds horrible. Of course, I am not thrilled that anyone suffered with the plague. But having just read a novel about the plague, (which by the way was based on the cholera epidemic in Algeria, where Albert Camus was born), I have plague on the brain!  So it was serendipitous that I read about the connection with Martin Luther, who I have been obsessed with for some time.

Him being a rebel and all.  (My therapist mentioned I have rebel tendencies!)

On that note, this rebel needs to run!
I am so proud of myself for sticking to my daily routine. Daily hooping, daily bible study, prayer and journaling, daily piano practice, daily fasting and daily blogging. You, my dear reader are a part of  my personal growth!

Happy Monday!

Talk to you TOMORROW!

Love,


Zita






Today's Hooping Video: Day 149!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i