Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 189: Ah, Balance!

Ah, Balance! It is like surfing the wave of the present moment.

I know when I am balanced.  I am present in the moment.  Not worried about the future. Not regretting the past. I smile easily.  My pulse is slow and even. The breath is easy and natural. And I check out many books and DVD's from the library!

Decreased stress is a great mood balancer!

I am greatly relieved after today's day at the courthouse with my son.  They have set his sentencing date.  It is roughly two weeks after the due date of his baby boy.  This should be enough time for him to be present at the birth and spend time with him before he goes off to "further his education" as his mother-in-law puts it.

We met with his DISP program administrator today.  Everyone we have been working with so far has been wonderful.  She is especially positive.

If you are not familiar with DISP, here you go:

"DISP is a post conviction, voluntary treatment court for repeat DUII offenders.  We take a collaborative and holistic approach to solving the problems that contribute to creating and perpetuating the repeat DUII offender.
DISP combines the treatment court model and intensive supervision.  DUII offenders are required to have frequent meetings with court based case managers, electronic alcohol monitoring, frequent and random alcohol and drug testing, long term treatment with mental health components, and 12 step meeting attendance. Additional conditions of probation include payment of fees, fines and restitution, full time work, GED, ESL, social activity, honesty and driving only with the court’s permission. These conditions, more often than not, lead to permanent changes in behavior.

GOALS OF DISP:

Everyone has warned us that this is an intense program, not for the meek and mild.  I am so proud of my son for embracing this program. Not just for a reduced jail sentence, but because he told his attorney, the judge, the D.A., and everyone in the courtroom that he needs help and is committed to change. Not just for him, but for his girlfriend and baby on the way.

After hearing about the program more in detail today, it is clear that the people in charge have an abundance of compassion and are there to help, not punish their clients.  They are big on education and communication.

I have a good feeling about this.  But he will have to make a lot of meetings, classes and appointments.  I told him he should buy an old school notebook and write everything down. He had a traumatic brain injury a few years ago. He forgets things.  Heck, I forget things!  But his girlfriend and I also are keeping track of his appointments as back up.

This has been a long, painful journey. Almost a year of jail, bail, attorneys, judges, hearings, tears and fears.

It is not over. It is never over. Not in this mortal life. Always something to worry about. But I feel like we have reached a new level here.

Now I can actually enjoy watching a movie and reading more than just intense suspense thrillers to escape my life.  And maybe I can be just a little bit more present for the other people in this world who might need me. Including myself!

Note:  ***Warning: Rant ahead!***
 I am finally giving in and giving Doctor Who another chance! I also found a BBC series at the library called "Detectorists". It looks amusing.  I am almost finished with The Night Window, the last of the Jane Hawk series by Dean Koontz.  I loved it. But it was a bit of a roller coaster ride. It served it's purpose in numbing me from my reality. But, dang that sh*t was scary! No more Dean Koontz for awhile. Sorry, my man. I love your writing, but sometimes the darkness you describe is a little too real.  I checked out Driving Hungry, A Memoir by Layne Mosler for my next read.  It sounds lovely. About a woman who dines in restaurants suggested by taxi drivers all over the world.  Much easier on my nerves than evil, rich people injecting mass amounts of people with nanotechnology in order to enslave them and create a world in which they have absolute control.  Sounds too feasible. And I am getting tired about reading about power hungry, evil rich people.  I know they exist. But I don't really want to think about them! 

***End of rant.***

And end of today's post.

Happy Tuesday!
Love,

Zita



P.S. Here are my most recent hooping videos: Days 137 and 138. Still going strong!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...