Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 204: The Music That Flows Through My Fingers

I am having a good day.  In spite of the weather.  I woke up to bitter cold, pouring rain. It was like we transitioned from summer to winter overnight!

But I am an expert at commuting in inclement weather. I layered, put on my rubber boots, packed my church shoes and covered my book bag in a plastic garbage bag.  I felt quite accomplished as I headed out into the dreary morning. 

I arrived at the bus stop about 7:00 a.m. I had a 9 minute wait for my first bus.  I noticed that my spirits were high. That is generally the case when the weather is poor.  I figured out years ago that I like to be above the weather.  When the skies are blue and the temperature is mild, I am not always experiencing a sunny disposition. 

I enjoy a rainy day.  As I waited for the bus, I noticed a young man shivering. He had dirty clothes and tattered sneakers. He was carrying a large garbage bag.  He was moaning and complaining about the cold to anyone within earshot.  I nodded at him.

Then another young man appeared. This one was impeccable dressed, clean shaven, wearing a practice winter coat gloves. He approached me, smiling.  Usually when people approach me at the bus stop they are looking for a handout. Or sometimes directions.  But Sunday mornings, at this bus stop, when a clean, well-dressed young person with a smile on their face approached, they are one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

He greeted me. I smiled and said hello. We chatted about the weather.  Then he asked me what I though about the world these days.  Did I think the answer to our suffering was politics, government, science?

I looked at him and said, "None of those things. Faith in God is the only way to find true happiness in this life. His ways are above ours."

He looked surprised. He nodded.  I was surprised too. I don't usually feel so comfortable talking about my faith with strangers.  But, as I suspected he was a Jehovah's Witness. I have had many positive encounters with this group.

He asked if he could share a scripture with me. I said, "Please do".

He pulled out his cell phone and read from Psalm 37: 39:

"The salvation of the righteous comes from the Lord;
    he is their stronghold in time of trouble."

As he finished, the bus arrived. I thanked him for his ray of hope and told him how much I love the Psalms.  (I didn't tell him, but I have been playing with putting some of the Psalms to music.   Perhaps I will start with Psalm 37!)

As we parted, I felt a ray of hope warm my heart.  As I got seated on the bus, the young man with dirty clothes and tattered shoes sat opposite me.  I smiled at him.  He smiled back and then lay his head on his bag and seemed to doze off. Suddenly, I was filled with compassion.  I had a feeling he and other tattered people would be spending a lot of time on the bus today and days to come, when the weather is cold and wet..

I am lucky that I have a roof over my head, a family and a job.  

And I am thankful for my faith, especially when strangers come up to me, not asking for anything. But giving hope.  How was this young man to know how his words filled me with such joy?

I could say more. But I think am due back at the church to play for a wedding this afternoon. The one that was cancelled two weeks ago.  Perhaps the joy I can share, is with the music that flows through my fingers.

Oh, and today is my father's birthday. He is 80 years old.  We have some painful memories from my childhood. But I have forgiven him. And today, more than any other day I am thankful for him. For it was he who taught me how to play the piano when I was only 3 years old.  A gift he gave me that has lasted my whole life so far!

Happy Sunday!
Love,

Zita





This is where I play piano and organ every week!  The sanctuary looked particularly lovely this morning. :) 



And yes, I hooped today! I managed to get in a short session at 6:30 a.m.!  Day 154!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...