Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 201: Who Needs Red Bull?

After my little epiphany/rant/break down (or whatever you want to call it) yesterday afternoon, my mood improved exponentially!

In fact, I feel like I trigger a manic event.  After talking to my therapist, I told myself that I was just feeling good, feeling empowered, feeling like "kicking butt and taking names", as my ex-husband so eloquently phrased it.  He also used to tell me I was addicted to feeling bad about myself when I bragged about not being controlled by addictions.

I kept a watchful eye on my mood. Especially since I had a staff meeting last night.  It actually served me well. I am not fond of meetings. Of any kind.  I get irritable and restless, thinking about all the things I could be doing rather than listen to people ramble on and on and on...

I'm sure some of you have experienced the dreaded  meeting.

In years past, at the music center where I teach piano, we would have one staff meeting a year. Right before the beginning of the school year. We'd come in all refreshed after our summer vacations. Mingle over a lovely buffet, with other teachers and board members.

Then we would introduce ourselves and listen to a short talk about Portland Parks and Recreation's mission and policy. Then we would have a fire and earthquake drill. For the last few years, we also had an active shooter drill.

Then we would get down to logistics, like time cards, lesson planning, how to utilize the office staff, schedule recitals, call in sick.

I rather enjoyed those meetings.  Social awkweirdo that I am!

Yesterday was not so enjoyable, albeit necessary. The introductions are always fun. It is interesting to hear from the teachers who have been there for as long as I have, or longer.  We are a dwindling group.  It is also interesting to hear the backgrounds of the new teachers.

Last night, much information was shared about Portland Parks and Recreations mission on equity, diversity and inclusion. We were encouraged to take training in such subjects as transgender and race equality.

All good stuff. But it was presented in a very abstract manner.  For two hours.  I would have liked more hands on exercises and ideas about how application.  I suppose that will be coming.  It was not too painful. But the absence of food and drink, made it less cheerful.

However, what made the whole experience bearable was my euphoria!  I was bubbling over!  Smiles for everyone.  Practically bouncing on my seat like Tigger!

And everytime a negative thought, or a feeling of self consciousness knocked on the door of my brain, I denied it's entry!

Today I woke up with tons of energy. I hooped, I prayed, I cooked, I cleaned. I watch my granddaughter. And here I am now blogging about it!

My next step is start reading all the positive thinking books I downloaded on my Kindle. I am tracking my moods in a little notebook.

I am wanting to be cautious.  Feelings of euphoria, invincible, heightened creativity and boundless energy can signal a manic episode. I read an article earlier about hypomania that caution about the crash after a manic episode.  That is what I also fear.  I am being cautious not to take on too many extra commitments right now, although I am feeling like I could conquer the world!

One article suggests that bipolar individuals may not recognize mania in themselves. Who are these people? I not only recognize every little mood, I track it in my mood journal and I blog about it!

Uh-oh! I recognize delusions of grandeur in those last two sentences! Calm down, Zita. Breathe!

Oh, but it feels so good to feel so good!

Let's see how long this lasts! An article on webmd.com suggests that if I feel like this for more than a week, or cause "problems in my life, it could be mania". However, amusingly enough, they did not say what to do about it.

I am enjoying it, while keep a watchful eye on myself!

On that note, I must bid you adieu.  Happy Wednesday!

Love,

Euphoric Z





Oh:  Here is today's hooping video. Day 151!  I regret that I will not have time to get to the gym today. I have yet another meeting and choir practice.  I am dying to pump some iron! I sure hope this energy lasts!  Who needs Red Bull?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i