Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 195: Diagnosis

I apologize for my absence.  No excuse, really. Just busy with life.  Trying to stay afloat.  Will there ever be a point in my life where I am not merely treading water?

I told my therapist this week that I have one really good day a month.  The rest of the days are peaks and valleys: Down to the bottom of the abyss and clawing my way back up. 

The one good day is refreshing. I feel truly free. I can breathe and experience the moment.

We all have our struggles in life, don't we? I have been following the twitter war of the Carters since yesterday. I was struck with how many celebrities are diagnoses with mental illness, succumb to drug addiction. Some sadly commit suicide.

Obviously, money can't buy happiness.

After I told my therapist about my one good day, he asked me what brings me joy.  I was stumped. I told him, of course my family, especially my granddaughter. And when I am in the midst of music - performing, practicing, or teaching, I rise above the abyss.  And I read to escape.

But I have removed my addiction: Food. I no longer eat for entertainment and comfort.  I am proud to say I am still intermittently fasting. I have widened my window because I am now eating more healthy during my eating time.  Focusing on whole grains, legumes, raw veggies and a bit of fruit.  I am mostly gluten free. But I have the occasional piece of dark rye, sourdough or pumpernickel  bread. I'm maintaining a 13 pound weight loss. I am hooping most days. And trying to get to the gym more often.

I asked my therapist if joy was necessary.  He looked at me oddly.  We talked a bit. I really look forward to my sessions with him.

Near the end of our time together, he asked if I would like to know my diagnosis. I told him I would. I have been thinking about this a lot. Having a diagnosis would take away some stress. Half of which, is the not knowing.

But still, my pulse started to race.

"Bipolar", he said.  He waited for my reaction.

I exhaled. "That is pretty much what I expected.  But I have never been officially diagnosed".

He told me many people have success with medications. I told him I had tried antidepressants several times, and was not comfortable with them.  But apparently there are meds specific to bipolar. And my case is not extremely severe, especially on the manic side.

Yup, I am indeed an Eeyore!

I told him I would consider meds. I told him I kept a blog. He nodded. I think it will help to keep talking about this.  I have been reading a lot about people with bipolar. Many very creative, musical and otherwise have been afflicted. 

It occurred to me that knowing for sure what my syndrome is, may give me freedom to do what I love: Be more creative, especially musically. Hopefully now that I am in treatment and know what my affliction is, I can stop dwelling on the "what is wrong with me" and get back to living life!

Sounds good, right?

On that note, I need to head out. I have an appointment with my pulmonary nurse. My asthma symptoms have been practically nonexistent since my last appointment. Hopefully my mental health will improve so much!

I also need to check out this book on hold. It is a novel recommended by my therapist:  The Plague, by Albert Camus, labelled "an existentialist classic". Sounds like my type of book!

Talk to you soon. Actually I need to get back to my daily blogging, so let's say: "Talk to you tomorrow!"

Love,


Zita




 Today's hooping video: Day 145!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...