Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 202: Depth

This is my positive thought for the week:
“Watch your thoughts,
they become your words;
watch your words,
they become your actions;
watch your actions,
they become your habits;
watch your habits,
they become your
character;
watch your character,
it becomes your destiny.”
~Lao Tzu



Today I am feeling more balanced.  I am feeling a pull to sink, but every time a negative thought enters my mind, I counter it with my positive thought for the week (above).  I have heard this quote before, but as I told my daughter, it is not enough to hear ideas once.  A profound idea needs to be heard, memorized, meditated on and then taken to a deeper level.

I am a fan of depth.

I need to add something to the above quote:

“Watch your thoughts, (you do not need to follow your thoughts)
they become your words;
watch your words,
they become your actions;
watch your actions,
they become your habits;
watch your habits,
they become your
character;
watch your character,
it becomes your destiny.”
~Lao Tzu


 It is important for me to remember that when I have a "pop-up" in my brain, whether it is a painful memory, judgmental/critical thought about someone (including myself), or an irrational fear, I do not need to dwell on it. I can think of it as an annoying commercial on the television. I can mute it, ignore it, or turn the channel.

I am still thinking about the last book I read, The Plague, by Albert Camus. I just read an interesting review on this book. The reviewer recommends everyone read or reread this book. I was just mulling over the plot of the book. Camus talks about a literal plague, but in our day, we have many different "plagues" that have infected our society.  

I can't help but think  of technology as a plague. The more high tech we become, the more isolated we are. We get our news in snippets.  And we rarely believe what we hear anymore. Our president is being impeached.  Our country is divided.  Reality has become obscured. Anxiety is high. Trust is low. With a president being impeached, and the right and left wings of our political parties at war, it is not wonder that the traffic is flowing smoothly as I look out the window. And the people here in the library are behaving themselves, sitting at their computers, checking out books...

I agree with Camus that materialism is also a plague.  Ed Vulliamy, who also claimed that The Plague was an allegory for Nazi Germany,  wrote this in his review in "The Guardian" 

"But why does La Peste {french for The Plague} speak so loudly to us now? Camus wrote early on, in an essay entitled Le Desert, about “repugnant materialism”. He was on a track of vital import to us now, in a world of materialism so repugnant it has become a plague. Everything mankind does in a turbo-capitalist age, with his ravaging of nature, “destroys the harmony of the day”.
Every bleat of the politicians echoes those in authority during Camus’ fictitious plague in Oran: “There are no rats in the building”, insists the janitor as they die around him. The newspapers rally the populace with news that the pestilence is under control when it is not."

" I think Camus intended such a literal – as well as allegorical - reading. It is generally agreed that the pestilence he describes signifies the Third Reich. Writing in 1947, as the world whooped victory and “Never Again”, Camus insisted that the next plague “would rouse up its rats again” for “the bane and enlightenment of men”. But Camus was also aware of the great cholera epidemic in Oran, Algeria – where the novel is set – in 1849, and of others in his native district of Mondovi in the Algerian interior.
 https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2015/jan/05/albert-camus-the-plague-fascist-death-ed-vulliamy


It's interesting that the news does not stress me out. On the contrary, staying informed of breaking news actually decreases my depression. I prefer to have a rush of adrenaline that could possibly empower me to save someone, rather than worrying myself to death about events that may not even happen.  I do not rejoice when others suffer, rather it gives me something to pray about.  

So perhaps that explains my relatively calm space today.  So much going on the news, I have little time to dwell on my own moods.

I will leave you on that note.  I have just picked up another Albert Camus book: The Stranger. I will give you my review when I finish it.

Until then, Happy Thursday my friends!

Love,

 Zita




 And here is today's hooping video: Day 152!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i