Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 191: To Be!


I am happy. I don't recall saying that too often in my life!

But I had a wonderful first session with my counselor.

After we filled out the expected pile of paperwork, he sat back in his chair and asked me what I would like to talk about.

I was prepared. I actually had a mini panic attack before our session.  Something to do with "What if my counselor hates me"? Or something irrational like that. I did some breathing and walking and talked myself out of that mindset, thankfully!

I told him that I have been in counseling before. Where we have explored my past, painful emotions and events. Much tears.  Some medication.

I'm sure it had it's place. But I no longer wanted to dwell in the past. I would like to focus on positive ways to bring more joy in my life and have more meaningful relationships with family and friends.

And learn how to take constructive criticism.

Oh yeah, and learn how to survive meetings.

He asked me about the meeting thing. He took a few notes and then mentioned a possible rebellious nature.

Yup, that's me!

He also talked about his "humanistic approach" and "existentialism".

Of course, I am here at the library. I googled "humanistic counseling" and this is what I found about humanistic counseling:

Humanistic therapy is talk therapy that encompasses a gestalt approach, exploring how a person feels in the here and now, rather than trying to identify past events that led to these feelings. Additionally, the humanistic therapist provides an atmosphere of support, empathy, and trust that allows the individual to share their feelings without fear of judgment. The therapist does not act as an authority figure; rather, the relationship between client and the therapist is one of equals."  https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapy-types/humanistic-therapy

And existential therapy: 

"Existential therapy focuses on free will, self-determination, and the search for meaning—often centering on you rather than on the symptom. The approach emphasizes your capacity to make rational choices and to develop to your maximum potential.
The existential approach stresses that:
  • All people have the capacity for self-awareness.
  • Each person has a unique identity that can be known only through relationships with others.
  • People must continually re-create themselves because life’s meaning constantly changes.
  • Anxiety is part of the human condition."

I really resonate with both of these theories.  Especially existential therapy.  I never really understood existentialism. I always thought of Hamlet's "To be, or not to be..." soliloquy. I looked up existentialism.  That will take more study!  

But existential therapy, I like it! 

I am happy!  To be understood. To be accepted.  To be listened to.  To be! To be! To be to be to be! Sounds almost like doobie doobie doo!

No I have not been drinking. I feel happy.  It is intoxicating! Much preferable over it's dismal opposite, depression.  

There was an episode of "Parts Unknown" that stopped me in my tracks.  I actually wept for Anthony Bourdain as he was in Buenos Aires, where it is said that people accept that most everyone benefits from therapy.  Anthony went to a therapy session. He said he felt "isolated and had trouble connecting to others."  Not only did I weep for this man, so beloved by so many that resorted to ending his life, but I wept because I have thought the same thoughts.  Don't worry. I have no such thoughts.  

In the Buenos Aires episode, Anthony agrees to a live, filmed therapy session. It hurt me to hear him say:

“I’d like to be happy. I’d like to be happier...I should be happy. I have incredible luck. I’d like to be able to look out the window and say, ‘Yay, life is good.’ When the therapist asked whether Bourdain ever feels that way, he replied without hesitation, “No.”


I intend to never allow myself to get so low. I intend to hang on to my joy and leave this life kicking and screaming!
And I think with the help of my new therapist, I will!
To be....continued!

Happy Tuesday!
Love,

Zita Evelyn, Proud Library Card Holder! (I know, I'm a geek. I changed my FB profile picture and added a frame. Now the library is closing in 5 minutes. I don't have time to upload a frameless picture. So, there you have it!)




p.s. Here is today's hooping video. Day 141!












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...