Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 25: Something in the Water

I love waking up to the sound of rain. I have my window open, smelling the sweet air, feeling the cool breeze. Time to catch up on the news. If I dare. But I have a feeling it will get my adrenaline going. It does.
I am reading the news about lead in the water in Portland Public Schools.(http://projects.oregonlive.com/lead/schools/)

As I am reading the article, I hear Carrie Underwood on the radio. She is singing "Something in the Water". I kid you not. I'm listening to 104.1 The Fish.
Even though my kids are grown, I feel a knot of irritation in my stomach. Not only are the lead levels of lead quite high, they have been for quite some time and the public was not informed. Many angry and frustrated parents out there. I do not blame them. This on top of the chemicals in the air from Bullseye Glass and Precision Castparts recently. It is hardly safe to live anymore! What is so upsetting is the dishonesty from responsible parties who knew and chose not to notify the public. No one likes to be lied to. But that has become the norm. Look at our presidential campaign. Oy.

But raising my blood pressure first thing in the morning is also not good for my blood pressure.

I am going to breathe and stretch and enjoy this cool air.

I had a good day of healthy eating yesterday. I spent a lovely day in Salem, eating lunch at my favorite Indian Buffet, "Cuisine India"  near the Amtrak station on State Street. With my new eating focus on veggies, fruit and legumes, I have found I am actually craving vegetarian and lower fat, higher water content food.  And to put the cherry on top of my day, I came home to a lovely surprise. My daughter had made her incredible homemade beet borscht. I had a big bowl and went to bed with a smile on my face. I did not ruin it by watching "The Sopranos" or reading a mystery novel. Just went to bed!

And I am feeling so much better today. Not as achy. And a pound lighter. Yay!  Let's hear it for water! (Without the lead, of course!)





It was such a beautiful day for walking. Here are some pictures of my walk through downtown Salem:




 I am going to continue blogging my food intake- it appears to be making me more mindful of what I put in my mouth. I am looking forward to a long workout and sauna at the gym after I teach today.

But before I do, here is yesterday's food and exercise log:

FOOD LOG 06/01/2016 
9:00 a.m.: 1 fried egg, 1 8 ounce glass of water at home
11:00 a.m.: 8 ounce bottle of sugar free lemonade at home
11:30 a.m.: 1 peanut butter/oat energy ball (homemade by my wonderful daughter!), 1/2 grapefruit at home
1:00 p.m. at "Cuisine India" in Salem:
1/2 cup Basmati rice, 2 small piece tandoori chicken, 1/2 cup curried vegetables, 1/4 cup mushrooms and peas, 1/4 cup lentil dal, fresh vegetables(lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion, green pepper) 2 T chutney, 2 T raita, 1/2 cup rice pudding, 1 8 ounce glass ice water.
 3:30 p.m.: Iced coffee with sugar and milk at student's house in Salem
5:00 p.m. Small order of french fries, hot dog (without the bun), 1 T ketchup, 1 small unsweetened iced tea at Salem Burger King.
9:00 p.m. 1 large bowl of my daughter's incredible homemade beet borscht at home in Portland. 1 8 ounce glass of water.

EXERCISE LOG 06/01/2016
9:45 A.M.: 15 minute walk to the MAX train in Portland
12:30 p.m.: 10 minute walk to lunch in Salem
1:30 p.m. 20 minute walk downtown Salem from lunch to transit mall
8:30 p.m.: 15 minute walk from MAX train back home in Portland

And I am off to teach.

Happy Thursday!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist