Skip to main content

Year Two Day 35: A Glimmer of Hope

I cried most of Sunday after hearing about the massacre in Orlando, Florida. I watched the news. Read several articles about the shooting and several commentaries on gun control, terrorism, and hate crimes. Then I prayed. Cried some more.

Then I washed off the tears and walked to the bus stop. On the way, I listened to talk radio. The horrifying facts were still coming in.

I unplugged and went in to sing hymns and pray.

After church, I went to the used bookstore to forget about the pain for awhile. But afterwards, on the bus ride home, I noticed life going on as usual. Had they not heard? Did they not care since it didn't directly affect them?  I put on my headphones and tried to find an update on the radio. Nothing, just music, commercials and preprogrammed talk radio. I did find extensive coverage on the television at home. I lay down and watched, still crying.

I fell asleep for awhile. When I woke up, I had an ache in my chest. But on the television and on Facebook, were notices about vigils that would be taking place in Portland. And in other cities. People were gathering candles. Singing. Holding hands. It was painfully beautiful.

But Portland Pride parade is this Saturday. Will they be safe? Thankfully, Portland police is increasing security.

I see many posts on Facebook saying how love always conquers evil. Indeed. But in the meantime, we are faced with the aftermath of yet another horrific shooting. Apparently the shooter pledged allegiance to ISIS. He bought his assault rifle legally recently. While on the FBI watch list.

And now the war between the left and the right begins. I don't have the answer. But I refuse to go about my life as if this doesn't affect me. It affects all of us. And I reserve the right to care deeply. And if I can ever help this world be a better place, I hope I will not hesitate to act.


Rewind a few days. To Saturday morning. Breakfast with my mother.  At one of our favorite Portland family restaurants: Toms on SE Division.

We talked about our lovely breakfast, the beautiful weather, our beloved families. And then the conversation turned. To politics.

My mother is a die hard Democrat. I am a registered Democrat. I was leaning heavily towards Bernie Sanders. But now that he is quite possibly out of the race, I am perplexed. As, I am sure many people are. I've read entirely too much about the corruption of the Clintons!

Then there is Trump. I am wary.  I admit I find him entertaining. I enjoyed hearing him speak his mind, just as I enjoyed Bernie.  Much less political than the standard presidential candidate.  I do think the media portrays him unfavorably.  I like his strength. But is he qualified? I do not like his hate speech.  But is he the candidate we need to keep us safe? I am honestly a bit anxious about speaking this candidly. Many of my Facebook friends would burn me at the stake (excuse the expression) for speaking even slightly favorably about the much aligned Don.  But I feel very uncomfortable about Hillary. I would like to support her. Our first female candidate!  Sigh.


So my mother and I talked a bit. Debated a bit.  But this woman is as solid as an oak tree. She told me she would not be changing her mind. So, I deftly changed the subject to upcoming family events.

I had a light teaching day. Kids have just gotten out of school for the summer. I downloaded a book about the Clintons on my Kindle. I sped read it. In two hours. I was disgusted. And then stressed out. How much truth was in this book? It sounded like a personal vendetta after awhile.

I thought about doing research. But, then I got depressed. Do I really want to go there? I was getting more depressed.

I went out for dinner after teaching and read some light fiction. I went home, planned some crockpot meals, and did some housework.  All the while my heart thudding dully in my chest.

I woke up early Sunday and checked the breaking news.  This is a habit of mine. Ever since 911. I was shocked.  Always my first reaction.  I called my mother. Always my second reaction. 

And then the tears came. But this time for a good reason.

I am still down, but I feel the winds of love and positive change.  I have been watching news coverage of the Orlando shooting. I have been reading many articles online about the shooter, about radical Islam ideology about assault rifles and then suddenly I found a post by Facebook friend. A post for the "Green Party" candidate Jill Stein. The article caught my teary eyes with the opening line:

"Green Party presidential candidate Dr. Jill Stein says she believes presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton could be worse than presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump."

(http://reason.com/blog/2016/06/13/green-party-candidate-jill-stein-says-hi)

My spirits are lifting.  I am still on the fence about who I will vote for in November.  But I feel hope.

I am still praying and following the Orlando tragedy.  It warms my heart to see the love flow in from all corners of the world. Love will prevail!

But everytime they show the face and story of another identified victim, my heart breaks for their family.

And what about the shooter? Evil, yes.  But now his son has no father. And he has left behind a legacy of hate.  Did this come from radicalization? His own childhood. We may never know. I also pray for his soul and for those on the edge, filled with hate and contemplating an act of evil.

And I am thankful. That I have a God who hears prayers. That I have family to love and students to teach.

My heart is still breaking for the victims of this shooting and all that suffer.

But there is hope.

I cannot talk about my food intake and exercise today. It seems so shallow in the light of these events.

But I wish you, the reader peace.

Zita


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i