Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 42: Love Attracts Love

I wrestled with my conscience last night.  Ultimately my conscience won. 

God helped.

I was distraught after visiting with the little choir who needed an accompanist.  It felt wrong to me.  The people were generally positive, but I was under the impression that the mission of the group was to bring music to people randomly, to spread love through music to people, like the homeless who were downtrodden.

I was thrilled. I have been very concerned about our homeless population in Portland. And although they are often judged harshly as a group, I have seen first hand that they each have their own story. And I work on the part of me deep inside that has been judgmental of those that are different than myself.

One of the first things I was told as we gathered was that we would not be singing for the homeless, because the choir had spoken amongst themselves and in as many words, they decided the homeless did not deserve their gift of free music, that there were others who had "no choice" in the circumstances of their lives.

I was stunned. I asked what groups that had in  mind. Perhaps hospice?  No, I was told. There is too much red tape involved going into a hospice facility.

Ok.  I remembered talk of singing outside, under bridges, random places for people to enjoy.

Not good, piped up another. Vocal sound does not travel well outside.

Side note. When I had inquired about compensation, I was told that at least for the time being I would be volunteering my services.

At this stage in my life, my time is more precious than before.  I believe in volunteering and being of service. But what would I be servicing with this group?

I was kind of fuming when I got home. Plus, I was sad to be alone with my kids at the coast. And sad that I was not closer to my dad.  A sad evening.

Honey Dog was a big comfort.


I was tempted to vent in an email.  However, every time I tried to open my email account, my wireless signal stalled.

This was a God thing. I am sure.

In the past, to ease my inner angst, I have shot off many a scalding email. Oh what relief, joy and power, to hit that send button!

And what regret, embarrassment and guilt I always experienced the next day!

Well here we are at the next day.  One of the first things I noticed on the internet this morning was a post by a dear friend on Facebook. It was a picture of Donald Trump mocking a young disabled men.

She wrote: "We remember what is important. It is not to hate the bully but to keep him contained so that all may live with dignity and due purpose".

Amen.

I wrote a kind email, full of grace.  I thanked the choir leader for inviting me into her home and for the opportunity to share music together. I wrote that although, my heart was telling me to seek opportunities to serve the homeless and would not be able to continue, that I wished them much success and peace on their journey.

Lord, how good and right it feels to use kind, loving, sincere words.

Hate attracts hate.
Love attracts love.

My spirit has been set free!

And now to the gym to wrestle with a rowing machine. And then a lovely piano student, and a walk in the Rhododendron Gardens!

Happy Monday!


ROMANS 12: 9-21

Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13 Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.
14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position.[c] Do not be conceited.
17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. 18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19 Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,”[d] says the Lord. 20 On the contrary:
“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
    if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.”[e]
21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i