Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 304, Pandemic Times Day 53: "Stay Home - Stay Safe" Day 40: Definitely Pho

Good Evening Friends!

Day 40 of quarantine.  40 is a biblical number. The Israelites wandered for 40 years in the desert, Jesus fasted in the desert for 40 days, God flooded the earth for 40 days...
(https://www.guideposts.org/inspiration/miracles/gods-grace/the-number-40-in-the-bible)
And now, I have been quarantined in my home during this pandemic for 40 days.

I am so thankful that I am able to walk in the park across the street daily.  It is like a lifeboat for me.  I was just walking daily to do my daily pandemic video, but now I have been starting my day with a 1+ mile walk/jog/run in the park.  For the last 3 days, with Honey Dog.

And now I will be adding another 30 days or so to that 40 days.  Governor Jay Inslee has extended the stay at home order in Washington until May 31st. Governor Kate Brown has extended the state of emergency in Oregon until July 6th.

Today is Sunday. My weekly "feast day".  I am still adhering to my monk diet. Three days a week I am vegan and on Sunday I feast. I was feeling particularly vulnerable today for some reason. And I found myself home alone for dinner - the others had gone to a friends house for a barbecue. 

So I did the only thing sure to cheer me up  - I ordered dinner through Door Dash. I had Pho! My first pho in over 2 months! 




It was heaven in my mouth! Not good as Pho Hung, Pho Kim or Pho Vietnam. Nothing beats the hot steamy bowl in a Vietnamese restaurant, especially where one is a regular and the staff are so genuinely happy to see you! But it was good.They included the fresh basil, jalepeno, lime and sauces.  Next time I will ask for hot oil and fish sauce. 

The only thing I will do differently on my next feast day, is turn off the television. I made the mistake of watching the Town Hall at the Lincoln Memorial with President Trump.

It occurred to me during the show as I got more anxious and uncomfortable, that we are not living in "uncertain times" as the media likes to tell us, we are living in experimental times.

Nobody really knows where this virus came from. Perhaps from a lab in Wuhan, from a bat, unintentionally. Perhaps.  Nobody can say for sure if and when an vaccine will be developed or if any medication will effective.

Many states are opening up tomorrrow at various phases.  But will there be a second wave?  Will masks protect us? Social distancing? Hand washing? 

We shall see. I feel like we are one big walking experiment.

I plan on remaining aware, vigilant and cautious.

But life is uncertain in and of itself, is it not?  The only really certainty about this life is inevitable death. 

And for people of faith, we can look forward to an after life.  That gives me hope.  I think I will stick with that.

And running with the dog.

Reading.

Eating fruits and vegetables.

Ginger tea.

And pho. Definitely pho.

On that note, I wish you a pleasant evening. And a happy tomorrow.

Talk to you then!

Love,

Zita

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 248: I G T J!

I got the job! I had such a good feeling when I went into the interview. Lovely little church, really cool pastor (She preaches without her shoes! My type of woman!) I'll be the church secretary. It is very part time. But it will give me a little financial stability so I can breathe a bit! I will have to alter my morning routine. Eh hem, read that as WAKE UP EARLIER! Which I have been attempting to do since I have been writing this blog. Ok. Since I have been alive! Not a morning person, am I!  :) I am so happy. Because yesterday morning, there were so many hurdles getting to the interview, that I said, "God, I'd better get this job after all I am going through!" And He answered my prayer. Thank You, God. You are so good! But about those hurdles... First, I found out a MAX train had derailed early in the morning, which caused delays system wide.  That put a cramp in my commute, since the shortest trip to the church was to hop on Max to the mall and