Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 318: Pandemic Times Day 67, "Stay Home - Stay Safe" Day 54: A European Starling and Memories of a Volcano





 Hi Friends!

I identified my first bird today! I am so excited! My birdwatching binoculars came in the mail today, so when it was time to do my vlogging in the park, I put them around my neck and brought a little notebook with me to record my findings!



Alas, the wind picked up while I was vlogging, and it suddenly got quite chilly, so I cut it short and started to head home.

Then I heard some chirping!  I looked up in the trees with my binoculars, but didn't see anything. I spied a flock  of crows in the middle of the baseball field, but crows are so common, I didn't think they were worth recording.

Wow! Most prejudice of me! I read somewhere that crows are highly intelligent. And emotional. And can carry a grudge against specific people. I don't blame them, with people like me calling them COMMON!

Next time I go to the park, I will apologize to the crows.

But what caught my eye, was a small bird at the foot of a tree ahead of me. He was pecking at the ground.  I was so excited! I fumbled with my binoculars, afraid he would fly off with all my commotion. But he kept pecking away.

He was small, with a yellow beak. He was mostly black, but with spots on his back.

I raced home and consulted my bird identification flashcards.

And....OUILA!

I spotted a European Starling!



I am beside myself!

Take that cornovirus! I didn't thank about you for at least one whole hour today!

It is so fun to have a new hobby!  Apparently, however the European Starling is quite common. Like the poor crow. I just had never identified one before.

Success on my first birdwatching outing!

If the weather is a tad bit warmer tomorrow, I plan on venturing out to the Burnt Bridge Creek trail. Less people there, more forestation. There are bound to be more birds - common and rare alike!

On news of the food kid, I made a killer cream of mushroom soup today! I had a bowl of it, topped with crumbled feta cheese, and a keto pita bread, topped with Za'atar, Kalamata olives and homemade tabouli.

Take that pandemic! I am living like a queen here!

Well, er, except for the paper plates, and plastic spoon, that is.  Our dishwasher is clogged and maintenance is unavailable on the weekend.

So - paper plates!

It still tasted delicious!

OK, and as for news of the pandemic kind, Remdesivir, an experimental drug is going to be used on covid-19 patients in Oregon.  It is not yet approved by the FDA, but it was used on other patients, including the man who was the first patient in Oregon to contact the coronavirus.  Here is the article.

https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/2020/05/health-authority-distributes-experimental-coronavirus-drug-remdesivir-to-oregon-hospitals.html

And we are on the eve of the 40th anniversary of Mt. St. Helen's eruption. I will never forget that day. I posted this article on my Facebook page earlier, and asked if anyone wanted to share their memories. I was a senior in high school, at Fort Vancouver, here in Vancouver, Washington. It was so awesome seeing that plume of smoke from our beloved Mt. St. Helen's. Frightening too when it blew. There were people who lost their lives. And the terrain was devasted - looked like the aftermath of a bomb!  Several of my friends and I heard the mountain had blown. So crazy teenagers that we were, we jumped in the back of my friend's truck (you could do that back then) and drove TOWARDS the mountain!  We didn't get far though. There were road blocks.

The next day, I awoke to 1 inch of ash on my car!

I was tickled to see many of my high school friends comment on Facebook about their experiences.

Here is the article in the Columbian newspaper:

https://www.columbian.com/news/2020/may/17/mount-st-helens-40-years-later-surprises-loss-still-reverberate/

And here we are 40 years later, in an explosive global pandemic.

What a crazy life!

I hope you have peace and joy this evening. You are all in my prayers, as is the whole world!

Talk to you tomorrow!

Love, Peace and Joy,

Zita


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 248: I G T J!

I got the job! I had such a good feeling when I went into the interview. Lovely little church, really cool pastor (She preaches without her shoes! My type of woman!) I'll be the church secretary. It is very part time. But it will give me a little financial stability so I can breathe a bit! I will have to alter my morning routine. Eh hem, read that as WAKE UP EARLIER! Which I have been attempting to do since I have been writing this blog. Ok. Since I have been alive! Not a morning person, am I!  :) I am so happy. Because yesterday morning, there were so many hurdles getting to the interview, that I said, "God, I'd better get this job after all I am going through!" And He answered my prayer. Thank You, God. You are so good! But about those hurdles... First, I found out a MAX train had derailed early in the morning, which caused delays system wide.  That put a cramp in my commute, since the shortest trip to the church was to hop on Max to the mall and