Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 323: Pandemic Times Day 72, "Stay Home - Stay Safe" Day 59: Like a Turtle


Hi Friends!

Day 59 of quarantine.  Tomorrow will be 60 days. Two whole months!  And I have blogged and logged every single day!

I've had plenty of practice. This daily blog I started nearly 5 years ago has done wonders for my self-discipline.  I hope it isn't making creating OCD tendencies. I seem to thrive on ritual now. Especially when it involves daily logs.

Like my intermittent fasting log. I have been practicing intermittent fasting now for 10 months. And I log my eating window and fasting times every single day.

I also keep track of my son's time in prison. I am writing a personal blog, for his and my eyes only, for each day he is incarcerated.

And I log my daily walk/runs with Honey Dog.




OCD - Who me?

Oh, yeah. And today I completed the 5 Day Jumpstart Qi Gong program with Lee Holden. It was extraordinary! I have so much more energy and flexibility. In 5 days! I am going to enroll in another course pronto!

Here are some benefits of Qi Gong:

Why Practice Qi Gong? What’s the Science?
https://secure.holdenqigong.com/immunity-emergency-kit/?_ga=2.241397570.1581538240.1590195597-1822239533.1589821326

A 2007 UCLA study of 112 adults indicated practicing Qi Gong/Tai Chi could increase immune system resistance to viral infection by 50%.

In 2012 researchers discovered that mindful meditation can cut your chances of getting a cold by up to 50%.

In a separate study, researchers at the University of Virginia found that their varsity swim team got 70% fewer lung infections when they practiced Qi Gong at least once a week, compared to swimmers who practiced less often.

Four studies concluded Qi Gong can reduce stress and three studies say Qi Gong reduces anxiety among healthy subjects following one to three months of Qi Gong practice.

In a 2018 review of six scientific studies, researchers discovered that Qi Gong can significantly improve depression, anxiety, and lung capacity.

Qi Gong is a gentle, easy-to-follow moving meditation.

Anyone can use Qi Gong to reduce stress, increase energy, and release tension. 




So, about that pandemic...

It just occurred to me that the re-opening of our country is more stressful than the lockdown was!

Donald Trump just announced that all churches were to reopen this Sunday. He says that "houses of worship are essential".  https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/coronavirus-government-response-updates-trump-declares-churches-provide/story?id=70832416

I have mixed feelings.  I must admit, I am getting restless staying home.  But venturing back out, especially into a crowded building, makes my anxiety rise.  My daughter and her husband will be attending their church this Sunday. I do not know what social distancing precautions they have in place. So I have decided to stay home. With my 2 year-old granddaughter. Especially in light of the fact that two children in Washington have been diagnosed with the pediatric syndrome that is associated with covid-19.

https://www.kptv.com/news/2-kids-in-washington-diagnosed-with-rare-inflammatory-condition-associated-with-covid-19/article_68dd392c-9c85-11ea-8b01-a798197d60f4.html

Clackamas County in Oregon has been approved to open up on Phase I this Saturday, which means they can begin "reopening bars, restaurants gyms, salons, and other personal services starting Saturday, provided they can meet safety criteria."

https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/2020/05/clackamas-couny-approved-to-reopen-saturday.html

As Washington and Oregon open up, I am thinking of my old life, prepandemic.  Which seems so long ago.  But there are places I miss going: The gym, church, the library, Starbucks, various restaurants.

There are people - family members, friends and students whom I have not seen in months.

However, when I imagine entering any of my old haunts, I imagine all the germs lurking everywhere.  And, like a turtle, I retreat back into my shell of safety.

I started looking ahead to summer. I reached out to a few students, asking if they were interested in summer piano lessons. So far, everyone has opted to continue online lessons.

So it is not just me.  And I am not paranoid. Even though I see people in my apartment complex and the park across the street, seemingly going about without a care in the world, the threat is still out there.

I think I will stay put and practice watchful awareness.  And do Qi Gong. And log my life away. :)

Talk to you tomorrow!

Be safe. Be blessed.

Love,

Zita






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 248: I G T J!

I got the job! I had such a good feeling when I went into the interview. Lovely little church, really cool pastor (She preaches without her shoes! My type of woman!) I'll be the church secretary. It is very part time. But it will give me a little financial stability so I can breathe a bit! I will have to alter my morning routine. Eh hem, read that as WAKE UP EARLIER! Which I have been attempting to do since I have been writing this blog. Ok. Since I have been alive! Not a morning person, am I!  :) I am so happy. Because yesterday morning, there were so many hurdles getting to the interview, that I said, "God, I'd better get this job after all I am going through!" And He answered my prayer. Thank You, God. You are so good! But about those hurdles... First, I found out a MAX train had derailed early in the morning, which caused delays system wide.  That put a cramp in my commute, since the shortest trip to the church was to hop on Max to the mall and