Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 330, Pandemic Times Day 79, "Stay Home - Stay Safe" Day 66: Breath

"And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being" ~ Genesis 2:7 (NKJV)



Breath has been on my mind a lot lately. I have been establishing a regular morning Qi Gong practice, which centers around the breath. "Qi" can be literally translated as "breath".
"Qi means "breath" or "air" and is considered the "vital-life-force" or "life-force energy."  Qigong practitioners believe that this vital-life-force penetrates and permeates everything in the universe. It corresponds to the Greek "pneuma," the Sanskrit "prana," or the Western medical conception of "bioelectricity."  https://www.takingcharge.csh.umn.edu/qigong

 I find it interesting that "qi" corresponds to the Greek word "pneuma", because breath is so prevalent in the bible.  Pneuma is the Greek word for breath and also relates to the soul.  In Hebrew, breath is "ruach"
"The meaning of the Hebrew word ruach is "breath," or "wind," or "spirit." In Scripture, the word is applied both to human beings and to God. Depending on the context, ruach can be talking about a person's emotional state of being, or their soul or spirit, and is sometimes used as an idiom, as in "a mere breath." When coupled with one of the names of God, ruach refers to the Holy Spirit."

I first began studying Qi Gong several years ago. I was first interested in Tai Chi. The pastor of a church I taught piano at taught Tai Chi classes on Saturday in the coffee room.  We had many interesting conversations. He is a friendly, peaceful man. He told me he first became interested in Tai Chi to help with a personal "breathing disorder". That was several years ago. Now he breathes well and is fine shape!

I dabbled in Tai Chi before I stumbled on Qi Gong, which I found more to my liking.  It is more about "qi", breathing and stretching, and less about forms.

I too suffer from a breathing disorder.  Chronic bronchial asthma. Which is why I will be cautious as we reopen our county. I use a daily inhaler, and when my symptoms flare, I go to my doctor, who usually prescribes Prednisone, antibiotics, or both.  I also take Flonase and use saline nose spray for my allergies.

Since studying Qi Gong, I have been breathing much deeper. I also have increased my flexibility and inner peace.

This morning I spoke on the phone to my son. He is in prison, about half way through his sentence. Sadly, all the prisons are still on lockdown to the coronavirus. So visitation is not allowed. We talk daily on the phone and once a week via video.

A few weeks ago, I asked him if he would like to study the Bible with me. He said he was interested. So I ordered two Bibles; one for each of us (the same translation) and I had Amazon deliver his to the prison. I calculated the pages divided by how many days he has yet to serve. It came out to about 3 to 4 pages a day to completely read through the Bible.

This will be my fifth time all the way through. His first.

But, even though he's had his Bible for over a week, he has not been reading.  He works full time, and then works out. By the time he gets to his dorm, after talking to his fiancé and I, he is exhausted, he says. He usually watches television before he drifts off. He has never been much of a reader, although he tells me he wants to change that!

Me, the book worm has always longed to share my love of reading with my son.  So today when he called, instead of shaming him about not reading, I read from Genesis to him. He had read a good deal of Genesis when he was awaiting his prison assignment when he was at Coffee Creek. But I told him the Bible is not a book to just read once and "finish". It is God's word. I believe it should be read daily, to be in the presence of God.

So I read to him from the beginning through Genesis 2:7.

I asked him what he thought about when I read that God created man out of dust. My son said that God gave him life by blowing air into his nostrils.

I told him how important breath is. "Without breath there is no life", I said, mist profoundly. And then, before I even fully formed the thought in my mind, I said, "George Floyd said, 'I can't breathe' shortly before he died.

Suddenly we were both quiet. The hairs were standing up on my arms.

"Wow, Mom", said my son. "Without breath there is no life".

And suddenly we both were in awe as if time were standing still.

We are all connected.

Without breath, there is no life.

Talk to you tomorrow.

Love,

Zita


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 248: I G T J!

I got the job! I had such a good feeling when I went into the interview. Lovely little church, really cool pastor (She preaches without her shoes! My type of woman!) I'll be the church secretary. It is very part time. But it will give me a little financial stability so I can breathe a bit! I will have to alter my morning routine. Eh hem, read that as WAKE UP EARLIER! Which I have been attempting to do since I have been writing this blog. Ok. Since I have been alive! Not a morning person, am I!  :) I am so happy. Because yesterday morning, there were so many hurdles getting to the interview, that I said, "God, I'd better get this job after all I am going through!" And He answered my prayer. Thank You, God. You are so good! But about those hurdles... First, I found out a MAX train had derailed early in the morning, which caused delays system wide.  That put a cramp in my commute, since the shortest trip to the church was to hop on Max to the mall and