Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 312, Pandemic Times Day 61: "Stay Home - Stay Safe" Day 48: Za'atar Man'ouche! And My Magic, Miracle Fasting Broth Drink!

Good Evening Friends!

Thank you for reading my blog and for all your positive support! If you want to show me some love, click the button above and buy me a cup of coffee - or tea!


So, the big news here in my little word?  I made a batch of keto pita bread and topped it with Za'atar. Ouila! Man'ouche!




I have been in love with Middle Eastern food since I was in college. I had a friend who was of Lebanese descent. We had lunch downtown at Abu Karim. And I was hooked!

Za'atar is one of my absolute favorite spices. And lately I have not been able to find it. Especially since my essential grocery store outings have been limited to Wal-Mart.

So I ordered a jar online.  OMGoodness, I could eat it with a spoon!

And, if you must know, my homemade zhug was so good yesterday, that I caught my daughter eating it with a spoon!

We are mostly gluten free in our household, and trying to limit carbs, so I tried this recipe for "Keto Lob Carb Flatbread"

https://thesugarfreediva.com/keto-low-carb-flatbread/

Success! It was pretty much fathead dough. If you've ever tried keto or low carb living, you've probably heard of it. I added "Everything But the Bagel Seasoning" and a bit of shredded parmesan. I also refrigerated the dough after I mixed it. It's quite sticky and hard to manipulate when warm. But after about 30 minutes in the fridge, it rolled up into little golfballs that I flattened and baked.

I love when recipes work out!

I also made a bean soup for lunch.

AND...I made a new discovery last night. I am going to call it my magic, miracle fasting broth drink.

I am still practicing intermittent fasting. Nearly a year now. I've gained a ton of discipline and lost a bit of weight. But I'm stuck. And I've started been having feelings of deprivation, panic and self pity when my fast starts - about 5 p.m. each night.

So last night, instead of tea, I made a thermos of chicken broth, which is about 15 calories a teaspoon. I added turmeric, Tajin, garlic powder and a splash of lemon juice.

So fulfilling! AND I woke up to a 1 pound loss at last!

Hopefully with this drink every night I will feel less deprived during my eating window, which I should really call my feeding window because I tend to eat like an animal. Snorting sounds and all!

My life is really nothing more than a big experiment.

Speaking of experiments...

States continue to transition in opening at various phases. I am pleased to see that most health official are encouraging all people to wear face coverings (i.e. cloth masks or bandanas) when they are in indoor public places, especially where social distancing is difficult.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-masks/281-0f603146-0d68-438e-856e-0a042f9d513f?ref=exit-recirc

Many businesses are requiring face coverings for not only their employees, but the public as well.

Here is a site that breaks it down state by state:

https://www.littler.com/publication-press/publication/facing-your-face-mask-duties-list-statewide-orders

If you have been following my blog, you probably know that I have been a strong supporter of masks for all from the beginning.

Health officials say they are not needed outdoors, unless you are in a public place where social distancing is difficult, i.e. an outdoor, public market.

That said, I need to head out for my afternoon walk before it gets too late. It has been raining on and off most of the day. I was waiting, in hope that it would ease up so I could do my Burnt Bridge Creek walk. But it's still coming down. So I"ll just do my daily video in the park.

Be back in a few minutes...

I'm baaack!

Here's my video musings:




I need to go make  My Magic, Miracle Fasting Broth Drink!

Talk to you tomorrow!

Be safe! Be healthy! Be blessed! Be happy!

Love,

Zita







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Three, Day 58: Marilyn Monroe's Measurements

Day 24 of daily hooping. I am determined to shrink these abs, if it is the last thing I do! Perhaps I should have that written on my tombstone: "Here lies Zita". Flat abs at last!! Well I certainly hope to attain my flat abs goal BEFORE I am dead and gone! Today's video was another rush job. But I downloaded some fun tunes to my Kindle last night.  I enjoyed my hoop session more listening to the Punjabi music. It reminded me of the "Maritime Bhangra Dancers".  If you haven't heard of them, you should look them up. They never fail to put a smile on my face! I am not smiling so much looking at this video. My hooping skills have improved a bit, but that menopot has got to go! After my hoop session, I walked 3/4 mile to the bus stop. I was planning on attending the 10:00 a.m. Mass at the Grotto, but it was cutting it close. Plus, I was feeling the need for a Starbucks iced tea.  Today was Iced Passionfruit/Black Tea, no sugar whatsoever.   The ic