Skip to main content

Day 20: Water. Cool, clear water.




 "Cool Water" is a song written in 1936 by Bob Nolan. It is about a man and his mule, Dan, and a mirage in the desert. Members of the Western Writers of America chose it as one of the Top 100 Western songs of all time. (Wikipedia)


"Cool Water"
"All day I face
the barren waste
without the taste of water,
cool water
Old Dan and I
with throats burned dry
and souls that cry
for water,
cool, clear, water"


Today I am focusing on water. I went for a 2 mile jog/walk with my daughter at 2:00 today.  We drank water before we left. But it was hot. I had rivulets of sweat trickling down my back.  We felt like we were crawling across the desert on the way home. A tall, cool glass of water never tasted so good!

And I really need to focus on raising my water intake.  That is one of my focuses week.  More water.

We've all heard the drink 8 glasses of water a day. But a did a little research and discovered that since I am running, especially in the heat and sweating, losing water I need to up my intake. In addition, I am attempting to restrict carbs, especially processed carbs.  I read that when you burn fat, you go into a state of ketosis which requires more water.

To be truthful, today started out really rough for me. Last night was hot and muggy.  I have been rather anxious lately. Worrying about things that haven't or may not even happen.  Feeling frustrated with the slow progress back to health.  I reverted to old comfort eating habits yesterday. And I paid for it this morning.  I ate dinner at Taco Time.  It tasted so good. Salty, spicy, cheesy.  And a root beer in all it's creamy sugary yumminess! I figured I "deserved" it with all my hard work. So I lingered and ate my meal, relaxing before I went home. It had been a long day of teaching. I ate and read from a cookbook on my Kindle.

This is one of my weird habits that I am sure has contributed to my food addiction and obesity. I like to read and eat. Particularly recipes!  I've been doing this for years.  It is like a compulsion.

So I ate. I read. I ate and read.  Then I went home. I told myself I would just have herbal tea and water. But there on kitchen table was a half eaten bag of cheese flavored popcorn. I mindlessly started eating while talking to the kids about their day.

Another bizarre family trait is that both of my kids are super sensitive to the sound of me eating crunchy food. I was happily munching away and talking and laughing. When suddenly I noticed grimaces and knowing looks pass between my son and daughter. My son-in-law was laughing at them. At least HE does not seem to be bothered by my crunching.

My daughter finally came and tore the bag out of my hands. "Mom, your diet", she reminded me.


And I had enough integrity to go straight to the bathroom and brush my teeth. Although, true confession here. I had considered sneaking out into the kitchen in the middle of the night and smuggling the bag back into my room and trying to eat it quietly!

This morning I woke up very early. But I hurt so bad. Felt like I had been run over by a semi-truck. And then the driver put it in reverse and ran over me again!

So I hit the snooze several times. I had planned on an early morning run before it got too hot. But I reasoned with myself that I needed my rest.  Before I knew it, I had slept until 9:40 a.m. Church was at 10:00!!  My heart beating wildly, I jumped out of bed and sprinted to the bathroom to get ready. I was not going to miss church.  I could run later, but I needed prayer this morning.

My reflection in the mirror startled me. My left cheek was crimson, as if I'd been slapped.  My mouth was dry. My heart racing.  I though maybe I had slept with my hand under my face.

I ran up the street and made it to church in record time.  I'm glad I went.  The music lifted my spirits. The pastor read from Colossians and spoke about "standing fast" and being strong.   He also spoke about his experience finding God.  And how he didn't change his thoughts or actions for some time.  But when he did, it made all the difference. He says now he wakes up and thinks of God first and how he will glorify Him with how he lives this day.

If only I had heard these words last night!

I walked to Fred Meyer's after church with a lot on my heart.  I sat down at the blood pressure machine. My suspicions were true. My blood pressure was elevated.  Probably due to the sodium from Taco Time and the popcorn. Not to mention the root beers (I had two!)  And of course stress.

It is now late evening. I feel much better. But I am hungry. I least I feel very hungry. I know I've had plenty today. But I would love to eat something crunchy and read recipes!  I am thankful though, that some small part of me sees the example of how this lifestyle affects me.

Tonight we opened all the windows and turned on the fans and we played games.  Had really good family time.

I want to live my life to the fullest. I would like to be around for many many more days with my family, laughing and enjoying their company.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring. But if I trust in God and take care of this body, mind and heart He gave me, I will be around much longer and live a life worth living.

I am feeling a bit emotional.  What started out as a very difficult, painful day in may ways, ended up being a learning experience. And my heart is filled with love and joy for my family and God.

I hope I can hang onto these truths and continue to be a woman worthy of this life.

I am still learning and growing. But for now, I am happy.

And I am glad I am blogging.  I can now see evidence of my progress. And it does keep me accountable!!

Tomorrow I will step on the scale and post my weight and measurements.  I fear there will not be much progress, except for a valuable lesson learned.

But tomorrow is Day 21. So hopefully I have created a good habit of daily exercise that will stick!!


Happy Sunday!

"Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior.  But now he has reconciled you by Christ’s physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation— if you continue in your faith, established and firm, and do not move from the hope held out in the gospel."
~Colossians 1: 21-23 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i