Skip to main content

Day 8! Old Habits Suck!



So I made it a week!  I think it is helpful for me to have a schedule.  Years ago, after my children grew up and moved out to seek their fortunes, I downsized and started doing housecall piano lessons.

Did I tell you I take public transportation? Long story, that. But Portland has really stellar buses and the Max train.  I sometimes feel like Mr. Magoo (I'm very near-sighted like him too!). I just start walking out the door, step on a bus, step off, walk into a house. lol!

But it was challenging at first coming up a with a schedule that allowed for travel time. I think I've got it down now.

 I actually ride the bus by choice. Well kind of. I found that with a piano teacher's salary, I would have to get a part time job to fill in the gaps between teaching terms when the kids were on break, or cut back. The last car I had was a mini van when my kids were teenagers. And with my soft heart, I found myself taxiing them and their friends around way too much.  And my life seemed like a whirlwind.  Racing to the store (even when it was less than a mile away), racing to work, driving a kid here, picking up a kid there...arrrrggh! Then when the motor starting acting up, I sold it and hopped on the bus. 

Save money.  Have some down time for listening to music, praying, thinking, even reading on longer trips.  Sometimes I have some interesting conversations too! And the best part is that taking the bus involves a lot of walking!! Win-Win-Win!!

Anyway, each day of the week I have in mind the neighborhood and students I visit. And which bus line that entails. Now I have plugged in the type of workout I do.

So today is running on the trail day.  I am sore from my gym workout yesterday. And a little grumpy at myself for overeating.  Yes, I had a healthy, home cooked breakfast. Yes, I had a healthy crockpot soup waiting for me when I got home. But I didn't get home until 9:30 last night and I was "starving" all day!

My wonderful daughter always scolds me for saying I am starving. Of course I am  not.  There are many starving people in the world. It breaks my heart. I am just succumbing to my emotional eating. 

So I am going to devise some better solutions for my schedule. I am just going to have to pack a lunch and snacks. Relying on my good decision making in the various little store I encounter is very dangerous and expensive.

But yesterday as I headed out for the gym, I did have a kombucha tea, a piece of string cheese and nuts in my bag. I felt quite proud of myself! But when I got to the bus stop it was a 16 minute wait! I had just missed the previous bus.  I was feeling impatient. I should have left earlier. I was worried about not having enough time at the gym and being late for students. 

So I thought I'd go to the little store across the street. But luckily I stopped and reconsidered. I mean, I had my healthy snacks. And this store didn't have much in terms of healthy selections. Then I noticed a little espresso coffee cart. It was a warm, sunny day. Iced coffee!  So I had an iced coffee with rice milk, and sugar free vanilla syrup. 

It was a nice way to start the day. And I had changed a habit!!

But the rest of the day went downhill. I felt old thought patterns come up. Like, "You DESERVE a treat. You are tired. It will perk you up."  Grrr...

I made it through. Then before my last student of the evening I had another bus stop "Layover". And I was feeling a little lightheaded. So I headed over to the 7-11 across the street. And I was so pleased to find that they had little packages of fresh fruit with lime slices and Tajin!  I got mango and jicama. And a small bag of sunflower seeds.

Actually, in retrospect, yesterday was not a bad day. It was my thoughts and emotions that brought me down.

So here is my plan for today:
Tea, Blog.
Run
Stretch
Shower
Healthy Breafast
Practice piano for choir practice tonight
Clean
Pack snacks: String cheese, rice crackers, seaweed, sunflower seeds.
Healthy Lunch
Bus to Library to return videos
Stop at the store for a Kombucha, or Starbucks for iced coffee
Students
Stop at supermarket deli - Chicken breast and fruit for small dinner
Choir Practice

Tonight I get home late, so I plan on not eating when I get home. I'll just have a cup of herbal tea.

Old Habits Die Hard.  New Habits Rock!!


And I'm Off....!

Happy Tuesday

Zita

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i