Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 152: The Theory of Nine


First order of business: H, formally known as R and I have redefined our relationship as "just friends". So far it is much more comfortable. After my emotionally stable email, he said he wanted us to be friends too, and that I was entitled to my opinion. He also expressed concern that my email seemed to suggest he had a narcissistic personality.

 I didn't answer him directly. I just deflected with,

"Is that any better than an emotionally unstable personality?"

And that was the end of that. He didn't protest me dating others which greatly relieved my conscience for even considering such a thing, serial monogomist that I am.

And we are getting along even better now without the pressure of a relationship looming over our heads like a rain cloud!

Now that I can breathe again, I am feeling more centered. I was actually able to play tthe piano today without checking my phone for a text message or having distracting thoughts about H. There is hope for me yet!! :)

I even began my Saturday with a solo early morning workout before meeting my mother for breakfast!

And now, without further adieu, I would like to introduce you to my highly secretive Theory of Nine. I have only revealed this to three other people in my life. But I created it over ten years ago!

The history of the Theory of Nine goes like this:

I overheard a conversation between my daughter and her good friend "T" who had moved out of the neighborhood. They had been close friends in grade school. T always laughed at how flirtatious I was. And when she came for a visit that day, she asked my daughter, "Does your mom have a boyfriend now, or does she just have like nine?"

I snickered, but it was one of those "aha!" moments. 

I had always been a hopeless romantic. And shy and insecure. And yes, perhaps a wee bit emotionally unstable- shhh! Don't tell H, formally known as R!
I was even known to write sappy letters and sit by the phone (the old school kind of phone. You know, that actually plugged into the wall!)

I shed many a tear over some undeserving bloke and suffered much heartache! Probably why I ended up single at 40-something with two teenagers.

But...9!

Now mind you, I was not thinking of juggling nine dates!  No, just fine tuning what I had already discovered. That pleasant, mildly flirtatious interaction with the male species made my life more colorful. 

You know, like cute Starbucks dude, friendly mailman, sexy bus driver...

I would console myself if things weren't progressing with "the one" by making sure I had a list of nine men who made me smile each day!

I have reactivated my Theory of  Nine to help me get through the H, formally known as R encounter.

I have 9!!

It works! I am happy!

On that note, happy Saturday!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i