Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 149: A Very Good Conversation

Here I am again. On R's bus.  I brought us breakfast burritos again.  We are going to scarf them down before another killer workout at the gym.  He packed us turkey sandwiches for lunch.

I am not as sore as I thought I would be from yesterday's workout. In fact the only thing that really hurt this morning were my feet!

After all the passengers got off the bus in Gresham, we ate our burritos as we drove back to the garage.  We got to talking about random things and then suddenly R told me that he is really picky when women flirt with him. Does not tolerate too much perfume, smoking, drinking...He was giving me a list when I think he picked up on the energy shift.

He quickly covered his tracks and starting telling me how wonderful I was. I laughed him off and said, "There's got to be something wrong with me!"

I should have kept my big mouth shut!

Because he said, "Well since you asked..." And proceeded to tell me that he has picked up on a bit of "emotional instability" on my part.  He said he would not go so far as to say bipolar....

I felt my blood boil. But I breathed slowly in and out through my nose.  Because I am sensitive. And I have struggled with depression.

I asked him how he could pick up on that from just text messaging.

He said he has also noticed my pupils "get weird".

Oy.

Part of me was angry because I feel that I was unfairly judged. Part of me wanted to say "guilty as charged, but with extenuating circumstances!"

Actually, it was good. We ended up clearing the air.

I told him yes, I was sensitive. But I felt pretty balanced usually.  I told him that I was particularly concerned about the heavy "Adult" texting that he had initiated. It was confusing for me. Especially since I liked him and enjoyed his company. And had not even dated for almost 10 years before I met him.

That is why I backed off and suggested being friends.  Because I do like him and enjoy our time together, especially at the gym.

I didn't mentioned the movie cancellation incident.  I just didn't want to get emotional or negative.

A conversation was a very good start.

And I had the most intense kick *ss workout!  He was even more impressed then usual.  I can see DEFINITION in my biceps and calves like never before.

Oh, and did I mention I lost 2 more pounds?

On R's advice, I am going on a low salt diet. I think it will help my joint pain and bloating. I am also trying to stay away from sugar and fried foods.

Everytime R increased my weights, I just thought about our conversation and got mad and it gave me and extra boost!

So, to keep this in perspective, R is my friend. My workout partner. Some nice eye candy, but I would be psycho to keep my hopes up for more.

And I am ok with that.

Because I am reviving my "Theory of 9".

I will tell you about that tomorrow.

Happy Wednesday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist