Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 146: The Return of R

So I woke up early this morning.  It was raining. I love the smell of rain.  Fall has definitely arrived. And I am feeling invigorated! I love the Pacific Northwest.  I love change.  I could not live in a climate that was constantly the same, even if it were 80 and sunshine.

I stepped on the scale and did a happy dance. I am down yet another pound!  I will post stats tomorrow.

My daughter commented that my outfit looked nice, especially my new boots.  I had her take a picture. And then a little plan started formulating in  my mind.




Mind you, I intend to honor my newly rediscovered authentic self. But....R does drive the bus that I take every Sunday to church.

Would it not be inauthentic to purposely take another?

So I got on the R bus today. And was welcomed by a big grin!  He gave me a free bus pass. I tried to decline, but insisted.  It was just R and I for several blocks. We made casual conversation.

Then he mentioned that he had not seen me at the gym. I told him in a shaky voice that my son had been in a terrible accident and my week had been full of car towing, going to court and talking with him.

I told him that he ran into a cement post outside the Church of God. I also told him the police man who talked to me when we were trying to get the car towed told me my son was lucky in so many ways. There was no other car involved, no one was injured and he was young with no priors. The cop then said if he had been a few inches to the right, he may have been decapitated!

When I told R that, he pulled over at the next stop, which was vacant and told me that years ago his life had almost been taken by a drunk driver. He woke up in the hospital with serious injuries, mostly to his legs. But the woman who ran into him did not survive. She had been decapitated!

I told R that he may run into my son since he will be busing it to work. R volunteered to have a friendly chat with him.

When we got to my stop, I gave him a hug. He kissed me on the cheek. And I felt a warmth of friendship for this man. We may not be relationship material, but now that we are both behaving like adults, I am glad I know him.

After I got off the bus, I realized I was too early for church. I walked into the Taco Bell nearby and ordered a 'mini breakfast' bowl and coffee. The mini breakfast bowl is perfect for breakfast! No gluten, small portion and only $1.00.



So my day has gotten off to a stellar start!

Happy Sunday y'all!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist