Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 168: A Day at the Races!

I had a lovely Monday morning. Usually it is mother-daughter day. Today it was grandmother-mother-daughter day at the horse races!  My daughter has a picture of all three generations on her phone. I will have her send it to me and share tomorrow. Above is my mom placing her first bet!

My daughter and I started the day with a quick workout at the gym. Then we drove over to Vancouver and swooped up my mom. We had a big lunch of cheeseburgers and fries and then spent the next several hours looking at horses, analyzing the stats and betting. 

The meal that almost killed me!

We could only stay for three races, because my daughter and I had work this afternoon. But my mother took right to it. She is very intuitive. She won all three races.

Too bad we were betting so low.

But great fun! And good bonding and family memories were made.

I really should not have had that cheeseburger though. It was so yummy, but I crashed big time when we got home. I think it was the bun. I get depressed and sleepy after I have anything to eat containing gluten.

Note to self: Stop eating gluten!

But I had a lovely cup of Earl Grey tea and I am going to stop for a quick cardio workout and hot tub before my afternoon students.

I made a wonderful pot of chili yesterday. I slow cooked  the pinto beans while I was at the gym. Then I came home and added ground Angus beef, two diced jalapenos, 1/2 diced onion and 1 clove garlic. Plus a can of fire-roasted tomatoes and a tablespoon of cocoa.  Seasoned it with cumin, salt, pepper and a little chili powder.

I had a bowl when I got home from the races and helped to revive my spirits!

I may have to go back to keeping a food log.  I am frustrated that with all my working out, I still have a Buddha belly!

I am still a work in progress!

Happy Monday!


Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 31: Sleep Business

I did it! I survived my sleep study.
It was quite intense. I think my expectations were a bit skewed. I was envisioning more like a mini retreat.  
It was all business. Sleep business.
And the minute the lights went out and the door shut behind the sleep technician as she whispered, "good night", I went into full panic mode.
Luckily I was really tired.  She had asked if I wanted to watch a bit of television before I fell asleep. But I declined. I knew to take advantage of the heavy lidded, dull brained feeling I had when I was really sleepy. Television might wake up my brain.
As she was attaching my electrodes, I watched a show on Animal Planet called "Lone Star Law", about Texas game wardens. I was hooked!  It was fascinating. I rarely watch tv, and we don't have cable at home, thankfully.  But this show drew me in. In retrospect, I should have continued to watch it until I fell asleep.
Something about being hooked up, tucked in, lights off, door closing, fel…

Year Four, Day 41: The ER

This morning about 4 a.m. I woke up with severe stabbing pains in my jaw.  My whole head, face and neck felt like someone had it in a vice. And was turning the lever.

I had already taken a dose of Thera-Flu before bed. Since Wednesday morning is my time with Gracie, I wanted to make sure I was well rested.  I didn't want to be groggy on Gracie duty.
But with the pain I was experiencing, I was questioning how effective I would be at all. 
I was wide awake, holding my jaw as everything throbbed.  I made a decision to take another dose of Thera-Flu.  The package said I could take one dose every 4 hours.  
So I boiled some water and sat hunched over the kitchen table.  I poured the hot water over the powder. As I waited for it to cool, I put my face close to the cup. The hot steam gave my poor face a bit of relief. 
I was wondering if I had a sinus infection. My throat was sore and raw.  I was congested. Had a bit of a cough. The jaw pain was troubling. Last week when my allergies we…

Year Three, Day 308, 309 and 310: I'm Back...

...from the brink of death.

Most dramatic am I.  But I feel like I went to hell and back this weekend.

One mistake was to take over the counter medication (Tylenol, Thera-Flu and Ibuprofen) and drink massive caffeine in order to make it through teaching classes on Friday.

I felt really good until early evening. Then it felt like my head was going to explode. My cough returned with a vengeance, dragging along massive sneezing and nose dripping.

Then like a big dummy I downed another mug of Thera-Flu before bed. I didn't even consider cancelling Saturday breakfast with my mom. And definitely could not afford to cancel anymore piano lessons.

Oy, I felt miserable Saturday morning. But I managed to get up and stagger down the road to the bus stop just in time. I was halfway to our regular restaurant before I remembered it was St. Patrick's Day. I looked down at my outfit. Not a speck of my favorite color green. So, before I joined my mom, I stopped at Rite Aid in search of a little…