Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 157: Contestants 3 and 4



It is a wonderful rainy, blustery fall day!  I love these days. I purposely took the day off from the gym and allowed myself to stay in bed longer than normal.  I am starting to feel more grounded.

I did some stretching and then headed to the store to buy some lentils.  I also picked up a couple of dvd's for tonight. I plan on spending a few hours cleaning, particularly laundry whilst I watch a movie or two.

I am at my library office right now. I have a full load of students, but during my break I have an actual date. A real live date for coffee!

I will call him "A". He is contestant number 3.  I met him on a dating site app. We had chatted a bit. He was polite, respectful and friendly. Only a few years older than me, but I didn't feel any particular chemistry.

Then an odd thing happened. A crazy, odd, really cool thing!

I was feeling most blue on Tuesday. Still trying to shake myself of the H, formally known as R infatuation. In fact, I felt so low I decided to stop at the store before choir practice and buy my tried and true pick me up: A small bag of Lay's Classic Potato Chips and a Diet Coke.

I shudder admit this!

But my aim is transparency.

So, there I was walking sadly into the store to grab my fix and a very low male voice said, "Hello there Zita, Piano Teacher".

I looked up into the most beautiful brown eyes.  An older, dignified gentleman. With a "store manager" name tag. I continued to stare, mouth slightly open.  Looking at his name tag and those dreamy eyes.

I was mute.

"Don't you recognize me?", he smiled gently. "I am from the dating site!"

I laughed and remembered.

"You look so much cuter in person", I muttered. Then I grabbed my chips and told him I was a little down and needed a chip and Diet Coke fix.

He smiled and said he had a chip addiction himself.

I reached up and squeezed his bicep. (Not exactly sure why!) I told him it was really nice to meet him.  He rang up my chips and soda.  Asked me if I needed a bag.

"No thank you", says I. "I will eat it in the parking lot".  I told him I was meeting a friend from choir and that I had been coming to that store for years for a snack between choir practice and students.

I exited smiling so big, heart a thudding.

And now, in precisely 10 minutes, I will be seeing A. I am stopping by his store and we are having coffee before my next student. Who happens to be right around the corner from A's store.

I will give you an update tomorrow! Wish me luck!

In the meantime, I met Contestant #4 ("K") yesterday. Again at his work! But this time he invited me.  He is also on the dating site ("Plenty of Fish" lol).

I stopped by his food cart at lunch yesterday.  He made me the most heavenly plate of falafels, rice, hummus and baba ganoush. He was busy, so I ate happily watching him work.

He seemed a bit frantic. His wild black hair blowing all about. His sultry dark eyes darting to and fro.

After I ate his heavenly food I went up to talk to him. We didn't have long. He had to prep for the next rush. I had a student. He invited me into his cart and gave me his secret hummus recipe. It was indeed the most incredible hummus I have eaten. (And believe me, I have had a lot of hummus!)

But I felt uncomfortable around him. Maybe it was the shifty eyes. Maybe it was the awkward hug and ask for a kiss when we had just met?

I declined the offer for drinks after work. Said I had a headache.

I think I will just focus on A for now.

Happy Thursday!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist