Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 176: Declaring War...

...On this cough I am!!

 An amazing thing happened at breakfast with my mother this morning. We were discussing my lingering cough, wheezing and discomfort with taking yet another dose of steroids. We talked about how my first experience with a lingering cough was when I was pregnant with my daughter. Over 27 years ago. I was working as a chiropractic assistant, doing massage and office work. The cough lasted several months. I did not take any medications because of my pregnancy. I remember it was difficult to sleep because the cough would worsen at night. Finally, the acupuncturist at the clinic took pity on me and gave me a free acupuncture treatment, and cupping with moxa. She sent that cough packing!

"Maybe I should get acupuncture", I told my mother.

She nodded thoughtfully. My mother is a retired R.N. She has always been skeptical of my "alternative medicine" beliefs. But it is obvious to us both that mainstream medical treatment is not doing me much good.

Just then my phone rang. It was the mother of one of my students. The young man who rolled his ankle last week. I asked her if his ankle was better. She said yes it was, but this morning he woke up with a stiff neck. He said he felt something pop when he was laying in bed last night and now can hardly move it. She asked me if I knew a good chiropractor.

I told her I used to work for a chiropractor, but haven't used one in years. I suggested they put ice on his neck today and tell him  not to move it.  Then tomorrow, alternate ice and moist heat. If it was still hurting, then she should ask some of her friends if they know a good chiropractor.  I also told her that I have had success with acupuncture. She thanked me and said they would be missing piano lesson today.

We hung up.  I looked at my mom, perplexed.

"How strange", I said. "We were just talking about my cough when I worked for a chiropractor..."

Then I remembered that this particular student had a history of bad asthma. I used to teach him in his home. His mother heard me coughing last year and told me she cured her son's cough with ginger.  She started making me homemade ginger tea every time I visited.

So I got back on the phone and called her.  She said she takes fresh ginger root and minces it. Then she takes a tablespoon of the ginger and mixes with a bit of honey. She had her son eat this every day, and in about 6 months his asthma was gone. He no longer uses an inhaler!

I thanked her and hung up the phone, beaming.

"I have a plan!" I told my mother.  The church I teach at is next door to a Chinese market. The same market where I purchased the Chinese herbal cough syrup Nin Jiom Pei (you can read about it on Year Two, Day 317 of my blog: http://soulrunnings.blogspot.com/2017/03/year-two-day-317-nin-jiom-pei-pa-koa.html).

After breakfast, we headed over to the church. I had my mom warm up on the piano playing her scales. She grimaced. My mother HATES playing scales!

I went to the Chinese grocery store. I picked up a bag of fresh ginger root, a lemon, some honey and Nin Jiom Pei syrup.  I minced a big chunk of ginger and added honey and a squeeze of lemon.  Then I brewed a pot of green tea and added the ginger/honey/lemon mixture to each cup. It was certainly tasty!

I also had a tablespoon of Nin Jiom Pei.

I am armed and dangerous!

And I will show no mercy!












I will keep you posted.

I do know that having a plan of attack lifted my spirits.  Luckily, I brought my hoop to the church. It felt good to do my hooping in a warm building on a smooth, even floor.

I am still coughing.  But I feel stronger.

And I practiced piano for three hours today!

I am playing the piano as a sub for a little Presbyterian church in the morning. I am so happy tonight is the night we set our clocks back one hour. An extra of sleep sounds divine!

Speaking of which, I am heading to bed right now.

Hopefully it will be a good breathing night.


Here is today's hooping video:



Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Three, Day 58: Marilyn Monroe's Measurements

Day 24 of daily hooping. I am determined to shrink these abs, if it is the last thing I do! Perhaps I should have that written on my tombstone: "Here lies Zita". Flat abs at last!! Well I certainly hope to attain my flat abs goal BEFORE I am dead and gone! Today's video was another rush job. But I downloaded some fun tunes to my Kindle last night.  I enjoyed my hoop session more listening to the Punjabi music. It reminded me of the "Maritime Bhangra Dancers".  If you haven't heard of them, you should look them up. They never fail to put a smile on my face! I am not smiling so much looking at this video. My hooping skills have improved a bit, but that menopot has got to go! After my hoop session, I walked 3/4 mile to the bus stop. I was planning on attending the 10:00 a.m. Mass at the Grotto, but it was cutting it close. Plus, I was feeling the need for a Starbucks iced tea.  Today was Iced Passionfruit/Black Tea, no sugar whatsoever.   The ic