Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 195: "G", The McDonald's Angel




My Thanksgiving was filled with so much joy. Yet it began with much trepidation!

As an introverted, slightly socially awkward person, holidays can fill me with a mixture of anxiety, guilt and happiness. I worry too much before hand, then feel guilty for not frolicking joyfully about, but then am happy for the time with family, food and then enormously relieved when it is all over.

Until the next year rolls around.

This year was different. Yes, I woke up filled with anxiety. But I then imagined my granddaughter. My role of grandma eases the pressure socially. I have a purpose. Guardian of Baby Gracie!

I also have a very successful morning routine of prayer, piano practice and hooping. Which I did. But I had a bit i3f a coughing spell last night. So after hooping, I took a brief nap before heading out. It helped.

My plan was to stop at McDonald's for coffee, Egg McMuffinless Muffin on a rice cake and hash brown. Then I would stop at the grocery store to pick up the ingredients for my contribution to Thanksgiving dinner at my brother's house (homemade cream corn and gluten free rice stuffing with bacon and dried fruit).

But I lingered at McDonald's. Chatting with an angel of God.

Yes, I had an encounter with an angel. At the SE 82nd and Foster McDonald's. Who knew?

So. There I was. Happily sipping hot, black coffee. I had just put my egg, meat and cheese on a rice cake. I took out my phone to look up the recipes I saved. I got out own and paper to make a list. 

Then I heard a voice.

I looked up, in mid bite of my breakfast sandwich.

"You will never find true love if you're always looking at your phone", said a man two booths down.

He had on a cowboy hat and a big, brown, puffy coat. He had long, silver hair poking out from his hat. He was smiling, stirring his coffee. His eyes were blue like a still, tropical sea. I guessed him to be in his 70's.

I laughed. "My mother tells me the same thing", I said.

He smiled. We started talking about people missing out in the present moment.

 I put down my phone. Somehow the conversation shifted. We were talking about God. He said it was clear we are living in end times. I nodded. My daughter's father had just given me an earful the other night on this topic. But my daughter's father was focusing in doom, gloom and fear. I told him to listen to Clyde Lewis. That it is good to be aware, but not obsessed. Focus on God's love while being vigilant in order to save people if we were alive when sh*t hit the fan. My ex didn't buy it. His obsession is deep.

But today, in McDonald's this man was exuding love. He told me that sometimes he feels like God wants him to give someone a message.

"He has a message for you", he smiled. His blue eyes wrinkled. "He says he loves you deeply. And everything will be ok."

I got goosebumps. My angelic friend then told me how he found God 40 years ago, when he was 45. My brain did some quick math. He was 85!

He said he found a scripture which said to be still and pray. And ponder deeply the words he reads. He says he does this daily. He mediates on a scripture all day. And gives thanks for his life.

"I also listen to Clyde Lewis", he said.

I almost choked in my hash brown.

"I listen to him every night!" I mumbled. I had goosebumps on top of goosebumps. I had never met someone like me who listened to Clyde Lewis. And who had a deep prayer life. And read scripture daily. Who was this man?

 I found myself wishing I could sit with him and talk all afternoon. But I had creamed corn and rice stuffing to make.

I gulped down the last of coffee and walked over to his booth. I reached out my hand and clasped his hand in a gentle handshake.

His hand was warm. His skin dry and rough.

"My name is Zita", I said. "I have to go now, but I wanted to tell you I enjoyed our conversation and wish you a happy Thanksgiving".

He smiled. "Thank you. My name is 'G'.

We waved goodbye. I practically skipped across the street to Fred Meyer's.

And all day long, I felt his warm smile upon me. At dinner at my brother's house, at a get together at my son-in-law's sister's house and then later at a game night gathering at the neighbor's house next door to my daughter and son-in-law's home.

And I did not feel awkward much at all! I had my grandbaby to take care of and the blessing of "G", the McDonald's angel!

Speaking of Baby Gracie, she is finally sleeping. She is a very social girl. She thrived on all the love and attention she got today. But she resisted bedtime. I had to dance her to sleep. While playing her theme song, "Amazing Grace", sung in Cherokee by Walela.

I have learned to sleep when she sleeps.

And so, I wish you a pleasant evening. I hope your Thanksgiving was filled with live.

Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Three, Day 58: Marilyn Monroe's Measurements

Day 24 of daily hooping. I am determined to shrink these abs, if it is the last thing I do! Perhaps I should have that written on my tombstone: "Here lies Zita". Flat abs at last!! Well I certainly hope to attain my flat abs goal BEFORE I am dead and gone! Today's video was another rush job. But I downloaded some fun tunes to my Kindle last night.  I enjoyed my hoop session more listening to the Punjabi music. It reminded me of the "Maritime Bhangra Dancers".  If you haven't heard of them, you should look them up. They never fail to put a smile on my face! I am not smiling so much looking at this video. My hooping skills have improved a bit, but that menopot has got to go! After my hoop session, I walked 3/4 mile to the bus stop. I was planning on attending the 10:00 a.m. Mass at the Grotto, but it was cutting it close. Plus, I was feeling the need for a Starbucks iced tea.  Today was Iced Passionfruit/Black Tea, no sugar whatsoever.   The ic