Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 185: P-P-P-Prednisone!

It is quite late. So I will be brief. I felt like I was crawling across the Sahara Desert, hand outstretched. But not seeking water. Seeking Prednisone. This cough is destroying me! I was actually out of refills, but called the pharmacy hoping my doctor would approve yet another refill. He did!

Hallelujah!  I grabbed my prescription, swallowed my dose with a glass of water followed by a hot teach chaser and headed to the music center.

Still coughing, but my lungs do not feel like they are inflamed as much as earlier.

I made it through my day, with less attacks than usual.

I am still downing ginger, honey, tea and soup. I plan on revisiting my doctor after this course of Prednisone. After my concert.

Coughing aside, I had such a glorious time with Baby Gracie this morning
 My grandma activities seem to be helping her sleep. My daughter tells me Gracie sleeps deeper and longer after a day with Grandma Zita. Last night she slept a solid 7 hours, from 10:30 p.m. to 5:30 a.m.!

My routine is something like this:

  • First thing in the morning: Greet Baby Gracie and change her diaper.
  • Hand her off to her mom for morning feeding.
  • She usually falls back asleep. Mom puts her back in crib.
  • If she fusses or cries for more than a few minutes, I pluck her out and rock her to sleep.
  • Place her slowly and gently back in crib. 
  • We all sleep about 2 more hours.
  • Repeat the first few steps, but now for the next 2 hours is Grandma awake time activities.
  • I usually buckle her in to her boinger chair. She listens to music and watches me do my morning hoop workout.
  • Then I put a blanket on the floor so she can have some belly time. This strengthens her head and neck. She usually only puts up with it a few minutes.
  • Then I scoop her up and we sit and I talk to her or play piano for her.
  • She usually starts getting hungry again. If her mom is at work, she leaves me a couple of bottles if breast milk. I attempt to feed her. She usually gets mad. She now recognizes that the bottle is an imposter. But she finally gives in. I give her about 1/3 of a bottle and then burp bher. She drinks the bottle furiously, and will have tummy pain if I don't pace her.
  • Sometimes she falls asleep for a short nap after a feeding. I usually hold her on my lap in the rocking chair. Her eyes often pop open after about 15-20 minutes.
  • Then I change her diaper and we repeat our routine. 
  • When she gets fussy again, we dance. This usually puts her to sleep for another short nap.
  • Hopefully her mom comes home after this nap. She is only working very part time at this point.
And now, speaking of sleeping, I am so ready to hit the hay. Hopefully without much coughing and wheezing. I am attempting to eat a more alkaline diet in case this cough might be triggered by GERD. More water, less caffeine, no dairy, wheat, chocolate or fried foods, late night eating and smaller portions. Sigh.

I can do this! I'm a survivor. Every day I'm getting better in every way!

Good night!

Talk to you tomorrow.




Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 79: My Prayer Hats

January 2, 2019

At my library office.  So many thoughts. Most of which I cannot share publicly.

My son is doing well.  My family is well.  My cough has returned, but I am taking care of it. Mostly with my ginger/lemon/honey tea concoction. Heavy on the ginger, light on the honey.

I have decided I need to be nicer to myself.  Someone has to!

My New Year's Addition this year is simple: "Love myself so I can love others".

I am continuing with all of my additions from the last 8 years, which include exercise, daily bible reading and prayer, daily piano practice, random acts of kindness, healthy eating, drinking oodles of water...

I find I am less likely to fail if I just add good things into my life, rather than resolve to change.

I am not really even concerned about the weight anymore.  My appetite has been rather low. Probably because of stress, worry and this lost sense of smell thing.

I'm o.k. with it.  Everything in moderation. Oh, if I could go back in time and tea…

Year Four, Day 51: The MRI, the Boil and Me!

I am beside myself with joy! Gracie and I are strolling through the park near our home, and I noticed leaves are falling from the trees. Some of the leaves have turned a beautiful bright yellow. And a gentle rain has begun to fall. I cannot tell you how happy I am! The only thing that would add to my joy, would be if I could actually smell the new rain.

I still have no sense of smell. My taste is greatly diminished too.

I am so happy that I had that MRI yesterday. The results should be coming within a week they told me. It was actually a very interesting experience!

The most difficult part was holding still. Especially since I suddenly had the urge to cough. Violently. I shared this information with the technician. She shook her head and told me no coughing, sneezing or any kind of movement whatsoever.

"It would ruin the scan", she said somberly.

I told her perhaps I should use my inhaler. She told me that was a good idea. So I hopped off the scan machine and wen…

Year Four, Day 69: The Road to Inverness

At last I feel like talking again.

It has been a long time - over a month!

I have been sad, depressed, overwhelmed and anxious.

Such is a woman with an incarcerated loved one.

My family member in crisis. He has been in jail for one month today.

In case you haven't guessed, my FMIC (aka family member in crisis) is my son.  I have started a gofundme page for him. It is public knowledge.  

My son is doing well, considering.  In fact, I often think he is doing better emotionally, physically and spiritually than I am!

I feel like I am on a roller coaster - of the emotional kind!

Every morning my eyes fly open. My heart is usually pounding. I feel a sense of impending doom. I try to breath slowly, sip water and tell myself all is well.

But then I remember. My son is in jail. All is not well!

Although, to tell you truth, it could have been much worse.  There are many bright spots to this whole experience.

He is alive.He is clean and sober.He hasn't had a cigarette in over 30 days.He …