Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 181: Struggle

I woke up this morning with a start. It was 7:43 a.m. Not 2:00 a.m. like usual. I had slept all the way through the night. I don't even remember any coughing!

Oh it feels good to be back in the land of the living! I still have a bit of a dry cough, but the wheeze seems to be gone!

I think my home remedy is working!

I did a little hooping this morning. And a bit of piano practicing. Then I got on the bus heading to the library. I've been getting nervous about my upcoming concert. I worked on my script list night. I researched the composers whose music I am performing and I am talking a bit about each of them. Well, mostly about Clara Schumann!

I find I really resonate with her. 

Let me tell you, that woman had a rough life! Mine is a walk in the park compared to hers!

Listen to this piece I wrote about her from my concert notes:


"Clara Schumann had a rough life!
She did not speak a single word until she was 5 years old. Her dad had an explosive temper, and fought loudly with her mother. Her parents divorced when she was 5.  She met her future husband through her father, who was his piano teacher. But her father was against the marriage. She married him anyway. They had 8 children. One baby died. Then her husband became mentally ill, attempted suicide and had himself committed to an insane assylum where he died shortly afterwards. She then raised 7 children on her own by giving concerts all over Europe.


But despite the struggle, Clara loved music. Her father looked at his beautiful, blue eyed baby when she was born and said, “You will be a great concert pianist!”

And she was. She was the most gifted, popular virtuoso pianist of her day.  Second only to Franz Liszt!

I resonate with people who struggle and rise above.  Like Beethoven. Who wrote his 9th Symphony when he was completely deaf. I tell my students that it is because of his pain and suffering that we have such beautiful music. His music elevated him above his suffering!

This is how I am going to end my talk at my concert:


"In closing, I think the reason I spent so much time talking about Clara Schumann is that I really resonate with her.  (And there is a lot of material written about her).
I am no stranger to struggle. I raised two children alone. I sometimes worked 4 or 5 jobs just to make ends meet. But I never gave up and aside from raising my children, I put music very high on my list of priorities. Eventually I let go of all the other jobs and am now fully devoting my life to teaching and performing.  One of the jobs I had was that of a church musician.  So the following hymn is very familiar.  Amazing Grace.

When my granddaughter first came home from the hospital and was fussy and her mom was sleep deprived, I put on a CD by Walela, a Cherokee female singing group. They sang Amazing Grace in Cherokee with Native American drumming in the background. Grace instantly stopped screaming and became very calm. So this is her theme song. Grace is Amazing and  and I dedicate this to her!"




So, there I was, on the bus, heading to the library, to put the finishing touches on my script for my concert. I sat down and noticed two older women talking. We struck up a conversation. They made my day!  J is 80 years old. F is 92! We all were heading to the library. None of us drive. We walk several miles a day and ride the bus.  They were so vibrant and fun to talk to!  J told me she always wears a hat on her head when I mentioned my cough. She showed me her lovely green hat. She was given it by the cancer ward she volunteers at.

I shook hands with my new friends as I debussed. At Fred Meyer's. Where I went in for some miso soup, ginger, tea, a new hat and gloves! 

It feels good to finally make wise choices.

Never too old right?

Happy Thursday!

Talk to you tomorrow.

Love,

Zita


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Three, Day 58: Marilyn Monroe's Measurements

Day 24 of daily hooping. I am determined to shrink these abs, if it is the last thing I do! Perhaps I should have that written on my tombstone: "Here lies Zita". Flat abs at last!! Well I certainly hope to attain my flat abs goal BEFORE I am dead and gone! Today's video was another rush job. But I downloaded some fun tunes to my Kindle last night.  I enjoyed my hoop session more listening to the Punjabi music. It reminded me of the "Maritime Bhangra Dancers".  If you haven't heard of them, you should look them up. They never fail to put a smile on my face! I am not smiling so much looking at this video. My hooping skills have improved a bit, but that menopot has got to go! After my hoop session, I walked 3/4 mile to the bus stop. I was planning on attending the 10:00 a.m. Mass at the Grotto, but it was cutting it close. Plus, I was feeling the need for a Starbucks iced tea.  Today was Iced Passionfruit/Black Tea, no sugar whatsoever.   The ic