Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 150: Zero Carbs/Zero Sugar - Peach Citrus Iced White Tea, I'm in Love!

Oh My Goodness!  I found a drink at Starbucks that is zero carbs, zero sugar that I actually love!

It's Peach Citrus White tea, iced with a splash of heavy cream and one pump of sugar free vanilla syrup.



I'm in love!

This is day 4 of my intermittent fasting adventure. I am down one whole pound!  I fasted for 18 hours last night. I did break my fast this morning with breakfast with my mother. I told her about my new eating regimen.

She picked up her mug of black coffee, looked me straight in the eyes and said, "I've been doing that for years".

She has. I've often wondered how she can eat like she does and not put on weight. She pretty much just eats one meal a day. Not to lose weight, but just because of her lifestyle, caring for my father, rising super early and going to bed before the sun goes down.

I am learning a lot about myself.  I am becoming even more aware of what a compulsive eater I have been. Pretty much my whole life. I see food, I eat it.

I feel more in control with this plan.  I am dabbling in the keto lifestyle as well. The more I read, the more interested I am.  I am a little cautious about all the animal fat, however.  And I do love my legumes. But I read an article that suggested you can "carb cycle" which I'm familiar with. Years ago (many, many years!) I ran. I never really enjoyed it. But I worked hard at it. And I liked my physique when I ran. So I read a lot about carb cycling back then.

It's the rage again, with the current keto rage.

I am a little skeptical as I am of all "diets". 

I need to do a lot more research.  The reason I went back for another "keto" drink at Starbucks today, is that yesterday when I had that God awful overly sweet iced coffee with heavy cream and Stevia, I actually felt better in the evening. It helped me get through the evening part of fasting with lest discomfort. 

The heavy cream (fat) kept me satisfied longer. 

I just worry about going to such extremes with my diet. But I am prone to extremes. Most bipolar am I!

So the plan is to continue my fasting. I think stopping eating after 6 or 7 p.m. at night is a good discipline for life.  Some days I will do a longer fast - not begin my first meal until noon. Days when I have breakfast with my mom will be different. I will eat earlier, and then stop eating at 6 instead of 7.

While I'm fasting, I will drink copious amounts of water and stay busy. 

When I eat, I will focus on veggies, lean protein and a small amount of legumes, grains, nuts and fruit. I think I'll keep the keto drink.  I'm digging that!

And a bit of cheese too.

But will continue to try to steer clear of sugar, wheat, fried and processed foods.  My mantra.  I keep falling off the wagon.

But I know how to get back on!

On that note, I have to run. I need to get salad fixings for my dinner before 6 p.m.!

Happy Friday!  Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita




P.S. Here is today's hooping video. Day 85! :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...