Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 151: Into the Land of Keto -I Did NOT Eat the Cheez-Its!

 I've been doing intermittent fasting for 5 days now. My window of eating is 6 hours with 18 hours of fasting. During the fasting hours, I drink copious amounts of water, tea, black coffee and iced tea.

I am noticing many levels of awareness during this adventure.

First of all, I am learning self control around food, finally.

This morning, I went shopping with my daughter and granddaughter.  We were looking for a dress for me to wear to a wedding next week. I can't wait until I reach  my "ideal" weight.  What fun shopping will be then! No more seeking roomy clothes to hide the ample waistline.  But there we were, looking at dresses, when my granddaughter decides to throw her bag of Cheez Its on the floor. My daughter picked up the crackers and handed them to me, along to what remained in the bag and asked if I would dispose of them. Halfway to the garbage can I realized, I was not even slightly tempted to shove a handful of Cheez Its in my mouth!!

Who am I?!

I am the improved version of me, that's who!

Secondly, I realize how I have been in denial, fooling myself and outright lying to myself for many, many years when it comes to eating.

Third, I have more time on my hand since less time is devoted to cooking and consuming food!

But when I do eat, I find that I am desiring healthier foods. No more grabbing everything in sight! And as long as I am working this hard, I might as well achieve maximal healthy weight loss!

I joined a Facebook group for Keto beginners. A very large, enthusiastic group.  And I am impressed.

I want to make sure my head is on straight going in, though. I am first and foremost wanting to improve my health, not just lose weight at any cost.

So I am still focusing on lean protein, veggies and a bit of fruit.  In Keto, they encourage you to ingest a significant amount of healthy fats. And dairy is allowed.

I have only lost one pound so far. But I am feeling different. An improved version of me. I am thankful I chose to begin this during my break between spring and summer term. It does take some getting used to!

Unfortunately, I do not have time to go into any more detail. The library is closing in 10 minutes and I need to get my final meal in before 7 p.m.

Speaking of meals, my first meal of the day was scrumptious!



A cheeseburger slider on an almond flour bun, a green salad, a hard boiled egg and some olives. Very few carbs. And absolutely delicious!

I have made these buns before, the last time I made them into bagels. The dough is known as "fat head" dough. You can google it. Easy to make, and I seriously have not tasted any gluten free bread that I enjoy more!

 


 I hope to report a significant weight loss soon, ut I am also enjoying feeling more in control around food now!  I'm even growing accustomed to my growling tummy. 

Earlier, before we went shopping, my daughter, granddaughter and I went to a running track. My daughter ran, I walked with my granddaughter. As we were walking back to the car, my stomach growled. Loudly. Insistently.

My granddaughter gasped and put her hand on her mouth. My daughter glanced back at me and said, "What in the world..."

"It's my stomach growling", I mumbled.

My daughter stopped dead in her tracks and turned around.

"Mom", she said in a most serious tone. "I have NEVER EVER heard your stomach growl!"

I smiled. "I must be doing something right" 

I leaned down and kissed my granddaughter on top of her sweet little head.

Happy Saturday!

Talk to you tomorrow.

Love,

Zita






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i