Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 159: I Will Let You Know!


A Good Hair day!

A nice side effect from my keto diet is my hair! It has been falling out at alarming rates over the years. I stopped dying it this year. I decided to embrace grandmahood! I also feared the chemicals in the hair dye was causing the fallout.

Maybe I just lacked good fat and protein? Because it is definitely feeling thicker lately!


Speaking of thick, I made a big goof up yesterday. I posted the above picture in my secret keto group on Facebook, and gushed, "The best keto drink at Starbucks ever"!

The first picture was kind of fuzzy, so I got some hilarious comments and memes, squinting at the picture and even saying it was a trick since they couldn't read it! lol

Then the bad news comment came in.  This is not keto compliant!  The new fruit tea/lemonades have fruit juice in them. I can ask for no cane sugar, but with the sugar content in the fruit juice, it is still non compliant. Sugar is definitely not part of the ketogenic diet.

So I had to eat crow and tell all my Facebook friends that, while this is a yummy drink, it is not keto!
(Crow, however, I am certain is ketogenic - most meat is!)

Dang, but that drink was soooo tasty! I'll pass on the crow.

So I am back to my two old standbys at Starbucks:
  1. Grande coffee, no sugar, splash of heavy cream and one pump sugar free vanilla. 
  2. Citrus peach iced tea, no sugar, splash of heavy cream and one pump sugar free vanilla.
I can deal with it!

I had a lovely breakfast with my son and his girlfriend this morning.  At the deli in the Justice Center, "Good Earth Deli". I had two eggs, over medium and two link sausage. They seriously make the best breakfasts! Everything is fresh and cooked to perfection. My son had bisquits and gravy with eggs. His girlfriend at a breakfast burrito.

We had a lovely visit, walking around downtown Portland.  It was a bit overcast, but perfect walking temperatures  (upper 60's).

I even stopped at the gym before making my way back to Vancouver.  Then I headed over to Cafe Yumm by PSU for lunch. I'm eating a lot of salads lately.

I'm good with that!


I'm watching my granddaughter tonight while her parents lead a high school youth group.

Tomorrow begins my summer term, teaching piano. I have a lighter than usual schedule, to accommodate my babysitting, new church job and family obligations.

I'm good with that! I feel the need for more family time.  I am almost finished with the book Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom.  Morrie really puts aging and death into perspective. He says that you can't live until you learn how to die!

I just picked up a new book.  I always look at the cover, and then read the first paragraph. This one has me hooked! Forest Dark by Nicole Krauss.  I will let you know what I think.

Of course, true to my nature, I am also reading a few other books. One of which is The Second Mountain by David Brooks. I just began this one yesterday. It speaks to the season of life I find myself in.  He speaks of serving and giving instead of acquiring wealth and material possessions. I like it already! Again, I'll let you know my thoughts.

I plan on starting to weigh and measure myself on Fridays again like I did when I first started this blog. I have a feeling I will be successful with this new way of eating, as long as I hold myself accountable and am consistent.

I will keep you posted!

I had some positive news about my family member in crises. Unfortunately, don't feel at liberty to discuss this on the world wide web, yet.  But I am hopeful!

On that note, I wish you a happy Wednesday!

Talk to you tomorrow.

Love,

Zita



P.S. Here is today's Qi Gong/Hooping Video. Day 95! :) 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist