Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 252: Pandemic Times, Day 1- the Bus of Death

Hello My Friends!

Today is Thursday, March 12, 2020.


Yesterday, the World Health Organization declared Covid-19 a pandemic:


"The novel coronavirus, the first known to cause a pandemic, has infected more than 118,000 people and killed more than 4,000 in 114 countries, numbers expected only to rise. The WHO is "deeply concerned both by the alarming levels of spread and severity and the alarming levels of inactivity," Ghebreyesus said. "In the past 2 weeks, the number of cases of COVID-19 outside China has increased 13-fold, and the number of countries has tripled."
http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/03/deeply-concerned-who-declares-covid-19-pandemic


That was yesterday. Today there are 126, 726 confirmed cases, 4,629 deaths and 115 countries affected.


I've decided to blog about the coronavirus (Covid-19) for now.  It is practically all I think of and on everyone's mind, and social media pages.  


I have focused on my health for the past four + years with this blog; on my physical, mental, emotional and spiritual health. My goal at the beginning was to lose weight, gain energy and achieve balance for myself and my loved ones. I have made a good deal of progress. I am not a finished product, but a work in progress. And now I want to focus on something outside myself.  It actually makes me feel more positive. More alive.  

I was hit with a moment of intense gratitude earlier today as I exited a bus, a bus that felt like a ward of death. All around me people were coughing, wheezing and complaining.  I had surgical gloves on, but I covered my mouth and nose with my scarf and tried to hold my breath until my stop. The man nearest to me was bent over coughing. And apologizing. I was overcome with gratitude, for not only escaping the bus, but for my own health, and for my family and my life. And that in times like these, that I might be able to help rather than just worry about myself. 


The coughing man on the death bus? He was a mere 3 feet from me.  The experts recommend keeping a distance of 6 feet between yourself and others.It's called "social distancing". Social distancing is one of the important preventative steps that medical professionals have been advising.  

Here are 5 Steps to Preparing for Covid-19, according to the New York State Department of Health. The 6th is according to Zita. :) 

  1. Stay home when you are sick
  2. Wash your hands with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds after coming in contact with pretty much anything.
  3. Do not touch your face, especially nose, eyes and mouth
  4. Keep a social distance of at least 6 feet from everyone. Do not shake hands or hug. Avoid large gatherings of people. 
  5. Regularly clean surfaces and doorknobs, computer keyboards and phones.  (I am proud to add that I was instrumental in securing sanitizing wipes for the piano keyboards at the music center where I work!)
  6. Stay calm, but aware (I added this one. I have noticed that when I start feeling worried, my own health suffers. So mental and emotional health is also extremely important during times of pandemics.)

https://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/communicable/coronavirus/prepare.htm

I have been under the weather for a week or so.  It feels like allergies and exacerbated asthma symptoms. I have no fever, so I do not suspect coronavirus.  Just lots of sneezing, itchy, watery eyes, a bit of wheezing and a dry cough.  But I have been practicing social distancing nonetheless.  And lots of hand washing.  

Yesterday, I watched on KGW TV called "Facts, Not Fear: Answering Common Questions about Covid-19".  It was interesting. There were a few bits of information I had not come across in my reading.  Like the exact symptoms to look for, which, apparently are not a runny nose or sneezing.  The doctor on the program said those are most likely allergy symptoms, which unfortunately many people are dealing with now since spring is around the corner. 

Whew!


Also, I had heard it was not affecting children, but people over age 60.  The doctor said it was not only people with underlying health conditions, but ALL PEOPLE OVER AGE 60 that were at risk.


Well, I'm 58 with chronic asthma....hmmm..


The reason I want to start blogging about covid-19 is because this is a pivotal moment in history. Someday, someone may read about my life during these times. And perhaps it will shed some light on these times. 


In my 58 years on this planet, I have not experienced a global pandemic.  I mean, Disneyland closed today until the end of the month!


Imagine how much money Disneyland rakes in daily, especially during spring break.  To close now, it's real folks!


My gut feeling is that this virus, although alarming is a preview of coming attractions. And it is a good time to prepare. It seems that medical communities and government officials are taking this seriously. Unfortunately, there has been an increasing lack of trust in our government and media for some time now.  


After some studying online, it appears that there are a lot of good people in the medical field AND government that are fighting for ways to protect the public and change things for the better.


Both the state of Oregon and Washington have banned gatherings of more than 250 people for the near future. Seattle closed it's public schools.  The NBA cancelled the remainder of it's season. Many colleges have closed their campuses and have sent students home from their dorms to study online. Cruise ships have been hit hard. The Carnival's Princess Cruises are shutting down for two months. 


As I type this, I'm sure more cases of infected people are being discovered. I can barely keep up with the updates.


I find it fascinating. Of course, quite tragic for those who have been stricken with the virus, especially the family of the deceased.


I am glad I read The Plague by Albert Camus a few months ago. Because just like in that novel ("The novel is believed to be based on the cholera epidemic that killed a large percentage of Oran's population in 1849 following French colonization, but the novel is placed in the 1940s." ~https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Plague), it is the response of the communities and interpersonal relationships that grabs our attention.


For instance, people are getting a little panic-stricken.  Oddly enough, they are hoarding toilet paper.  

There are a lot of humorous posts and memes on social media about this. But it makes sense. We are told the virus is still spreading and more people will contract it. We see whole countries (like Italy) in quarantine. We hear of stores running out of toilet paper, soap and hand sanitizer. So panic sets in. What if we are in lockdown without toilet paper and soap? Gasp!


But people need to understand that this virus is not prejudice. It is attacking our whole planet. Tom Hanks and his wife have tested positive, for goodness sakes!


And if we want to survive this virus, and bigger ones (or other disasters!), it might behoove us not to hoard, but to all be mindful and moderate.  We all need soap and toilet paper.  


I am pleased with the increased sanitation. I am pleased with reports of city government working to insure the homeless are protected by creating more outdoor bathrooms, and portable hand wash stations.

https://www.wweek.com/news/2020/03/12/here-are-the-locations-of-portlands-emergency-handwashing-and-toilet-facilities/


Also, finding more shelters where they can have social distancing and providing quarantine areas for the sick. 
https://www.wweek.com/news/2020/03/10/portland-area-officials-are-preparing-two-shelters-for-homeless-people-expecting-more-covid-19-cases/



And, as an introvert, I welcome social distancing! I like the namaste greeting (hands together at the chest in a prayer position, nod of head). I've actually been doing my own namaste greeting for many years as a thank you from the piano when I perform or play for churches.


I've been concerned with sharp rise in homelessness in my community and nationwide. I mentioned to my mother months ago at breakfast that it is becoming a public health emergency.


It is almost as if I knew this was coming. Not a virus, but some break in our society. It is definitely here. Hopefully this virus will be contained and die out over the next month. But the signs of the times are showing us just how fragile our world is.


My heart goes out to all the people who are ill, grieving the loss of a loved one, and worried about missing work. 

My heart goes out to all the incarcerated, including my own son who is worried sick about being separated from his fiance and infant during this time.


And I thank God this virus has spared the children.


So from now until further notice, I will be blogging  about the coronavirus in my little world.  And I have a lot to add to my list of things to talk about with God in prayer!

Be safe and well my friends.


And for goodness sake, wash your hands and don't touch your face!

Love,


Zita


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i