Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 256: Pandemic Times,, Day 5 - Breaking Free!

Covid-19 current stats, 3/16/2020:
Total confirmed cases: 181,590
 Total deaths: 7,108
 Total countries affected: 134/195

Compared to yesterday:
Cases: 166,492 worldwide
Deaths: 6,447 worldwide
Total countries affected: 118/195

The governor of Washington announced last night that effective today, all restaurants and bars in Washington would be closed to the public. They could remain open to fill take out orders, but no public seating in the dining room.

I felt like I was punched in the gut, but I was halfway expecting it. I was feeling rather guilty eating my feast day meal in restaurant yesterday.

Restaurants have been my private retreat for ages. I love to find a "regular" joint where I can stop and have  bite, preferably as inexpensive, and healthy as possible. But more important than that is the space: a moment in my day to pause, reflect, pray, read, visit with the server. It is often the highlight of my day! I  established a routine of various restaurant spots I visit during the week, depending on where I am working.

And in an instant, that option is gone!

And now the gyms have closed. My routine, destroyed in less than a week! 

I thought about going to the grocery store. We don't really need anything, but I am feeling cabin fever coming on.

But it is cold outside. And President Trump is telling us to stay home, and avoid gatherings of more than 10 people.

I might still take a walk. But I need a nap. I do work from home I babysit my 2 and a half year old granddaughter ever weekday morning for about 4 hours a day and a few hours on the weekend. She is the light of my life, but has boundless energy. I do not. So if there is one thing I am grateful for durimg this pandemic, it is daily naps!

So first a nap and then a walk in the park. I may bring my hoop. 

Tomorrow I have a counseling appointment. We are doing it via phone
 I must admit, I am looking forward to it more than ever. Another live person to talk to!

I had an appointment for a mammogram later this week. When I called to reschedule, the scheduler told me it was a good idea not to come in for the next few weeks unless I had noticed an abnormality. (I hadn't). She told me they were only allowed to have one person in the clinic at a time and we could not bring anyone in with us.

She and I commiserated for several minutes before she gave me a new time - at the end of April.

Will we be virus free by then? Will I be able to go to the gym, the library, church, a restaurant, a doctor's appointment, work?

I am going to look into teaching piano lessons via Skype after my nap and walk. I am also going to work on my playlist. I have written down about 100 of my favorite hymns, praise songs, classical pieces, and 70's songs that I can play by ear and memory. It is so freeing to play without sheet music! I am a good sight reader, so have relied on rotated music to the point of it becoming a crutch. Finally I am breaking free! I am also going to dust off this ukulele and didgeridoo.

My granddaughter picked up a harmonica today I had given her about a year ago. She said, "Zma how do I do this?" 

I told her to blow. I demonstrated a few notes. She grabbed it and is belting out rich tones while dancing around the room to "Frozen II"

I could possibly get used to social isolation. As long as I have my family, some food, books and musical instruments.

And of course, the internet. I don't feel completely isolated when I have social media to keep up with my friends and this blog to  communicate with you all.

On that note, I wish you a happy, healthy, Monday in your own socially isolated part of the world


Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i