Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 263: Pandemic Times, Day 12 - Don't Worry, Pray!

I had a better day today. I made sure I got outside to get some fresh air. I did my Qi Gong and weighted hoop workout in the park across the street at about 8:30 a.m.


There was also a person jogging, a lone basketball player and a city maintenance worker; all keeping their distance. It was chilly and overcast, with a light drizzle, but it felt good to be outside and breathing fresh air. My asthma and allergy symptoms have subsided. I brought my Bible with me to the park. I sat under a shelter by one if the baseball diamonds and read my daily psalm and gospel (I'm reading Luke 12:22-34).

It struck me that today's reading was very appropriate to the current state if the world:

"Do Not Worry

22 Then Jesus said to his disciples: “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. 23 For life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. 24 Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! 25 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life[b]? 26 Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?
27 “Consider how the wild flowers grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 28 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you—you of little faith! 29 And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. 30 For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. 31 But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well.
32 “Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. 33 Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. 34 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
Luke 12: 22-34 (NIV)

Today Oregon's Governor Kate Brown scolded her constituents for not taking her stay hime recommendation seriously. She was mainly referring to all the tourists flocking to the coast. So she made it an order. Police can actually wrote you a ticket if, after educating you, you do not comply. The governor of Washington, Jay Inslee followed suit, issuing a similar stay home order. Nonessential businesses will be closed as well as parks and playgrounds. We can go to the grocery store for supplies as long as we keep a 6' distance between ourselves and other shoppers. We can walk our dogs, exercise, and travel to and from work (that is, if we are still employed).

Multnomah Falls was closed after a similar throng descended this last weekend.

Perhaps people will begin to obey and take this pandemic seriously. I'd like to emerge from my cave eventually!

Today's stats are:

383,697
Total Confirmed Cases

 16,566

Deaths


Compared to yesterday:

343,209

Total Confirmed Cases

14,730

Total Deceased

Sticking to my routine today did help my.mental health immensely. I had more energy, less stress and more hope. 

And I am quite enjoying teaching piano via Skype! I taught a family of four yesterday and a 4th grade boy today (he is doing two lessons a week).

And an absolute bright spot is my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter came down to my basement room and knocked on my door. She said, "Zma, I want my piano lesson!" I was so tickled. So was she!



And on that note, I hope you are not only surviving, but thriving! If you are struggling physically, mentally, emotionally or physically, know that you are in my prayers as I am praying for the whole world! 

But if you would like to be added to my prayer list, you may email me at: 
Pianoteacherzitapdx@yahoo.com.

And I would welcome your prayers for me and my family too. This is a global pandemic. We are all in this together!

Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita












Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Three, Day 58: Marilyn Monroe's Measurements

Day 24 of daily hooping. I am determined to shrink these abs, if it is the last thing I do! Perhaps I should have that written on my tombstone: "Here lies Zita". Flat abs at last!! Well I certainly hope to attain my flat abs goal BEFORE I am dead and gone! Today's video was another rush job. But I downloaded some fun tunes to my Kindle last night.  I enjoyed my hoop session more listening to the Punjabi music. It reminded me of the "Maritime Bhangra Dancers".  If you haven't heard of them, you should look them up. They never fail to put a smile on my face! I am not smiling so much looking at this video. My hooping skills have improved a bit, but that menopot has got to go! After my hoop session, I walked 3/4 mile to the bus stop. I was planning on attending the 10:00 a.m. Mass at the Grotto, but it was cutting it close. Plus, I was feeling the need for a Starbucks iced tea.  Today was Iced Passionfruit/Black Tea, no sugar whatsoever.   The ic