Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 254: Pandemic Times, Day 3- "Be Prepared, Not Scared!"

6:47 a.m.

Good morning friends!

Here are today's covid-19 stats:

"There are currently 150,112 confirmed cases and 5,617 deaths from the coronavirus COVID-19 outbreak as of March 14, 2020, 15:40 GMT."

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-cases/

Compared to yesterday: 130,000 confirmed cases, 5,410 reported deaths.

It is 6:47 a.m. I woke up to a text from my mother at 6:30 a.m. She sounded practically hysterical.

"Don't go to Portland today!" she screamed after I groggily answered my phone.

"Why?" I asked. Feeling slightly disoriented.

She told me she went out for her daily Starbucks at 5:00 a.m. and nearly didn't make it home
 The roads are very slippery, she explained.

I groaned and crawled out of bed.





I had to blink. March 14th. Snow. Yes, I am staying home today! My first thought was all the people hoarding toilet paper must feel smug this morning.

But me? I'm going back to bed. Sleep is something I need to hoard!

More later...

Much later (3:00 p.m.):

I could get used to this social isolation. It's funny, I feel less anxious than usual. Some of my friends and family talk about spreading fear, but I like being aware and prepared. During normal, non-pandemic times, I find myself worrying about unimportant things. Like what I said, and how someone treated me. With a global pandemic, those thoughts are trivial. During a global pandemic, we are thinking about one thing: survival. My new motto is: "Be prepared, not scared!"

I also had the best nap in my life. After which I discovered an animated series on Amazon Prime: "Undone". I binge watched all 8 episodes of season one, the only season so far. Each episode is only 39 minutes. But mesmerizing! And the plot revolves around a subject I've always been fascinated by - time travel! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undone_(TV_series)

After my nap, I cleaned the kitchen while listening to Louis Prima: 

My Social Isolation Playlist for 3/14/2020 (All Louis Prima and his gang)

  1. Just a Gigilo/I Ain't Got Nobody
  2. I Wanna Be Like You (My granddaughter and my theme song.)
  3. Sing, Sing, Sing
  4. Angelina
  5. Closest to the Bone
  6. Please no Squeeza da Banana
  7. Felicia no Capicia
  8. Jump Jive and Wail
Then I made lunch for my granddaughter and I including a premier of pepperoni chaffles!

Pepperoni Chaffles



Then my son called. He and all his dorm mates are all well. They are keeping up with the news. They enjoyed being out in the snow this morning. Playing a lot of basketball and trying to keep their spirits up during the lockdown.  I sent him some of my favorite prayers for difficult times: The Serenity Prayer, The Jesus Prayer, and the Lord's Prayer. He's heard them before. But I told him how I would pray continually for him during his dark times. I suggested he find a prayer to recite if he starts to dwell on negativity. 

He sounded good. Peaceful even. We both agreed this lockdown and in fact all the closures are a good thing. Soon this virus will be behind us. A moment in history. But I suspect there will be more. Perhaps harsher strains. And if everyone uses common sense, we will be better prepared next time.

Speaking of which, I will talk to you tomorrow. I think ill play some Louis Prima on the piano - by ear - a new skill I am honing! And read my new library book: A Journal of the Plague Year by Daniel Defoe.




Happy Saturday!

Be safe, be well. God bless!

Love,

Zita



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist