Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 271: Pandemic Times, Day 20 - "Stay Home, Stay Safe", Day 8: Life Before




Hi Friends:

I just went back and read my posts from the beginning of this pandemic. The World Health Organization declared it a pandemic 20 days

Our world has changed practically overnight. I found a timeline for the progression of the corona virus since it was discovered in Wuhan, China:

It began on New Year's Day 2020:

"Jan. 1 — Officials close the Huanan seafood market, suspected to be the source of the mystery disease, as some of the patients presenting with the pneumonia-like illness were dealers or vendors at the market."

Then one week later:
Jan. 7 — China identifies new coronavirus as cause of the outbreak. Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that can cause varying levels of disease, from common colds to severe fatal diseases. Usually found in animals, some can infect humans and transmit between humans. Both SARS and MERS are caused by a coronavirus."

https://www.devex.com/news/covid-19-a-timeline-of-the-coronavirus-outbreak-96396

I was not too concerned about the corona virus at first. It sounded like just another flu. I watched the news and felt a growing concern as the virus spread. Then it arrived in the United States, the first case in Washington, my home state.

As I talked with my family and friends, we were concerned for the people in China. We prayed. But the virus was "over there". When cases outside China were reported, we looked for the connections - had they returned from a trip to China?

But then more people came down with the virus, some with no connection to China.

Still, we lived our lives as normal.

I started blogging about the virus the day after the WHO declared covid-19 a pandemic.

That was 20 days ago.

Let that sink in.

20 days ago I posted:

"The novel coronavirus, the first known to cause a pandemic, has infected more than 118,000 people and killed more than 4,000 in 114 countries, numbers expected only to rise. The WHO is "deeply concerned both by the alarming levels of spread and severity and the alarming levels of inactivity," Ghebreyesus said. "In the past 2 weeks, the number of cases of COVID-19 outside China has increased 13-fold, and the number of countries has tripled."
http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/03/deeply-concerned-who-declares-covid-19-pandemic


Today,  there are 864,690 total confirmed cases globally with 43,233 fatalities.
864,690−118,000 = 746,690. 43,333-4,000=9,333.

That is an increase of 746,690 cases and 9,333 deaths in 20 days.

Good Lord. How did we get to this point?

President Trump held another press conference today. It seems the worst is yet to come:

"This could be a hell of a bad two weeks. This is going to be a very bad two, and maybe three weeks. This is going to be three weeks like we've never seen before," Trump said at a White House press conference Tuesday. White House officials are projecting between 100,000 and 240,000 deaths in the U.S. with coronavirus fatalities peaking over the next two weeks."
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/31/trump-says-the-coronavirus-surge-is-coming-its-going-to-be-a-very-very-painful-two-weeks.html

Dr Fauci said that if people were diligent about social distancing and hand washing, the numbers might not be that high. But if we had done nothing, our country could have seen deaths in the millions.

We are in for a hell of a ride.

I can hardly remember what life was like before.

Before 20 days ago.

I am needing to go deeper in this time of social isolation. Not just pass the time with mindless activities like television, eating and naps.

 I think deep prayer is needed. And more mindful activities. And more restful sleep at night.

On that note -

Be well. Be safe.

Talk to you tomorrow.

Love,

Zita


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist