Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 261: My Samarai Massage. And the Confident Turtle Goes to Church!

 


Good Morning Friends!

I am continuing to work on becoming a confident turtle! My counselor came up with this months ago when we talked about my shyness and how I love people, but social events are anxiety inducing for me and I tend to retreat back into my shell for a time afterwards to recharge.

Like a turtle. 

But the social isolation of the pandemic has caused this introvert to want to come out of her shell more often!  

Like a confident turtle!

Take yesterday for example. I had a wonderful experience with a small group of people in a church service!

A little background first:

I had been watching my granddaughter every Sunday morning while her parents went to the church they are employed at.  First they were going to help with livestreaming while the church was closed. Then, when the church started to reopen, my daughter was not sure she wanted her daughter in a crowd.  But now, they have been working hard at maintaining social distancing, requiring masks and having hand sanitizer readily available.  And my granddaughter, at age 3 desperately needs more social interaction than her Zma, the turtle.  Even though she is becoming a confident turtle, a 3 year-old needs other little people too!

I was going to go to the Catholic church downtown Vancouver for my first church service since the pandemic. It is a beautiful place. The choir is upstair in the loft with the pipe organ. And they do chant.

I don't know anyone at this church, even though our family attended when I was a young child. I thought maybe I could go and be anonymous and get a nice dose of beautiful, angelic voices, prayer and bible readings.

But then I looked at the face of my turtle, which now sits on my piano. He seemed to be shaking his head.  He knew where I wanted to go.  The church, the pastor and the people of Portland Bible Church always pull me back.  I played the piano for them for awhile. They used to meet at the Community Music Center, my beloved place of employment for over 22 years. And the pastor had recently called me and personally invited me to church service. In his and his wife's home here in Vancouver.

I knew it's where I needed to go. And I am so glad I did! I had a vibrant Lyft driver who talked with my nonstop about the state of our world.  During the 15 drive, I felt like I had met a new friend.


And when I walked into my pastor's home, I was greeted like a long-lost relative! At the break half way through the service, I had a lovely piece of homemade pie.  It looked like pumpkin, but was actually made from a squash called "sweet meat", which I was unfamiliar with. The pastor's wife gleefully told me she had received a box of squash from a friend. She looked inside and saw this round, green bumpy thing and had to Google it to figure out what it was. She was delighted to find a recipe for sweet meat pie!


And it delicious. I loved the texture - a bit denser than pumpkin and with a richer, squashlike taste.

Don't get me wrong, I did not go there just for the pie, but it did sweeten the whole experience! The pastor told me that if I could come regularly and wouldn't mind playing along with the hymns, they would buy a piano keyboard.

I was thrilled! Not only did I reconnect with a group of people who I truly enjoyed their company, and a pastor who is brilliant (church is more like school - with me taking copious notes!), I was needed!

Good Lord, I do love to be needed!

On top of it all, a couple drove me to my bus stop afterwards. As I approached, and I noticed a man with shifty eyes sitting on the bench. He looked at me and in a very unfriendly voice, asked me if I wanted to sit. I told him, "No, I sit too much as it is!" 

He actually growled at me.

I got out my phone and discovered, since it was Sunday, the city bus would not be coming for another 20 minutes.  

I growled inwardly. Just then I heard a honk. It was another lovely couple from church! The man motioned for me to meet him in the parking lot behind me. 

"Hop in!" he exclaimed cheerfully in his Southern accent. I did quite happily. I told him they came along at the perfect time because there was a creepy guy at the bus stop. 

He chuckled good naturedly and said he is happy to rescue me from the creepy guy. They dropped me off at the mall. I didn't have babysitting duties, so I planned on having a relaxing lunch and reading my book.

And maybe having a matcha green tea latte from Starbucks later.

I did all of the above. My daughter called and asked if I could babysit for an hour later that evening.  I was feeling a bit aimless, so it was good to be needed. Did I mentioned how I like being needed?

I agreed and seeing that I had several hours to kill, I walked down the aisle on the lower level. I usually avoid the lower level at the mall. The salespeople at the kiosks seem to sense a gullible woman like me. I often get pulled in with their offers of free samples. Then find myself seated on a stool, being slathered with cream and telling me how beautiful I look when my eye bags disappear. And the magical cream they are slathering me with? Only $250 a jar today!

I have barely escaped with my life (and my wallet) many times!

But today, I purposely was looking for the massage chairs. I felt I deserved some extra self care.  They have a new kiosk in the mall. Several massage chairs, and tables, enclosed by a low rising wall. Outside the wall was a sign listing their services and prices. 

I drew closer. 

Before I could retreat, an older man who resembled Jackie Chan said, "You gorgeous lady need massage!" (Have I mentioned how much I love Jackie Chan?)

I said yes I do! But only 30 minutes. He hooked his arm in mine and led  me to a table. Suddenly, out of nowhere this very tall man who resembled a Samarai emerged! 

He immediately began to administer deep tissue, trigger point, shiatsu like massage. It was deep and sometimes painful. But the good kind of pain. It took my breath away.  

. After 30 minutes, Jackie Chan came over and put his hand on my shoulder. "Lovely lady feel good? Want one hour?" I couldn't speak, just nodded yes. He said "O.K. $70."  I didn't care. I never wanted it to end.  All my pain, all my tension was evaporating.

At some point, a female therapist came and gathered my hair into a clip.  Then someone, Jackie Chan, Samurai or female rubbed lotion on my neck and shoulders.

Suddenly all was still.  I looked up. Jackie Chan was smiling. I told him it felt so good. Samurai did not seem to speak English. Jacki Chan's was quite limited. Except when quoting prices.

He helped me sit up and pointed to a lounge type chair. "Please", he said with a smile.

I was confused. I though the massage was over. Then I remembered my feet. He had not touched my feet. I sat down obediently. Samarai put hot towels on my feet. It occurred to me that this might be extra.

I looked questioningly at Jackie Chan. 

"$100, OK?"

I couldn't say no. My feet felt so good wrapped in the warm towel. And Samarai soon massaged them into pudding. 

So $100 lighter, and feeling a tad guilty, but blissfully relaxed, I emerged. I scolded myself a bit. I have been saving my money for a camper van. If I kept getting pulled in by all the Jacki Chan's and Samurai's at the mall, I will never reach my goal.

So I promised myself to never again walk on the lower level at the mall. But I will remember my Samurai massage forever!

Today I feel wonderful. I was afraid I'd be sore, but I feel more fluid and flexible. Perhaps I will visit the Samurai every few months. But tell him firmly 30 minutes only at the beginning! A girl does have to be firm with her boundaries!

On that note, I wish you a lovely Monday!

Talk to you tomorrow!


Love,


Zita


PS: Still sticking to my daily hooping regimen! Here are days 263 and 264. Day 264 (this morning) was before sunrise since it was breakfast with Mom day.  I hooping at 5:45 a.m.!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Three, Day 58: Marilyn Monroe's Measurements

Day 24 of daily hooping. I am determined to shrink these abs, if it is the last thing I do! Perhaps I should have that written on my tombstone: "Here lies Zita". Flat abs at last!! Well I certainly hope to attain my flat abs goal BEFORE I am dead and gone! Today's video was another rush job. But I downloaded some fun tunes to my Kindle last night.  I enjoyed my hoop session more listening to the Punjabi music. It reminded me of the "Maritime Bhangra Dancers".  If you haven't heard of them, you should look them up. They never fail to put a smile on my face! I am not smiling so much looking at this video. My hooping skills have improved a bit, but that menopot has got to go! After my hoop session, I walked 3/4 mile to the bus stop. I was planning on attending the 10:00 a.m. Mass at the Grotto, but it was cutting it close. Plus, I was feeling the need for a Starbucks iced tea.  Today was Iced Passionfruit/Black Tea, no sugar whatsoever.   The ic