Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 262: Zucchini Stew in the Crockpot and Balance in My Life!



Good Morning Friends!

Our home is quiet this morning. My granddaughter is at "farm school", an amazing preschool my daughter discovered that takes place on a farm!  My granddaughter is in heaven. When she met the teacher, she said her name and then, "I like horses!"

The teacher smiled and said, "You came to the right place!"

I can breathe easier knowing she is happy, learning and getting some fresh air and play time with other children!  

So suddenly I have more time in my life. And I intend to make the most of it! I hooped, I vacuumed, I washed dishes and now I am sitting down blogging! For breakfast I had leftover kale-chickpea-lentil curry on brown rice. And in the slow cooker I am making zucchini stew with sausage.

I love making stews in the crockpot, especially in the fall! 

And I am feeling more motivated to shed this tire around my waist that hasn't budged in so long.  Looking at my diet, I have been eating too much processed food, carbs, meat and sugar.

So I dug out my favorite cookbook: Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast & Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.  I have made nearly every recipe in her book.  Excruciatingly yummy!


I'm not going vegan. I'm not going anything in particular. Except trying to be healthier and more balanced.  And I frankly always feel better when I eat mostly plant based foods and stay away from from sugar, fast food and junk food. 

Don't we all?

I adapted both my curry and my stew from Isa's book.  The curry is amazing.  And the zucchini stew is looking lovely. I wish I could say the aroma is divine. But I still have no sense of smell. It's been several years now, so no need to worry about my having the Rona!

I think I am going to go for a walk in the park now. And then I will spend the next few hours tidying up my room and piano teaching space.  I can work so much better when things are organized. I especially like a tidy work space.  But hey, maybe I'll tackle the rest of my room while I'm at it!

I was thinking about the gym, lunch out and perhaps Starbucks with a book with my free time. But I'm so glad that I overrode my hedonistic self. 

My sensible Zma self seems to be dominating these days.  And it makes for a happier household!

And although my life is more routine now, without much drama or excitement, I am starting to appreciate being more balanced and content.

The balance between work and play has always been a driving force in my life. If I play, or relax too much I feel guilty. If I work and stress too much, I feel tense and irritable.

Sometimes the sayings from our grandparents hold the most wisdom:

"First you work and then you play". 

That is a good motto for life! 

So back to work I go!

I wish you a day of balance and joy.

I leave you with today's hoop video Day 266!

Talk to you tomorrow.


Love,


Zita












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 248: I G T J!

I got the job! I had such a good feeling when I went into the interview. Lovely little church, really cool pastor (She preaches without her shoes! My type of woman!) I'll be the church secretary. It is very part time. But it will give me a little financial stability so I can breathe a bit! I will have to alter my morning routine. Eh hem, read that as WAKE UP EARLIER! Which I have been attempting to do since I have been writing this blog. Ok. Since I have been alive! Not a morning person, am I!  :) I am so happy. Because yesterday morning, there were so many hurdles getting to the interview, that I said, "God, I'd better get this job after all I am going through!" And He answered my prayer. Thank You, God. You are so good! But about those hurdles... First, I found out a MAX train had derailed early in the morning, which caused delays system wide.  That put a cramp in my commute, since the shortest trip to the church was to hop on Max to the mall and