Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 265: Rip Van Winkle and West African Chicken Peanut Stew

 Hello Friends:

I've been laying low the last few days.  Have felt under the weather.  Mostly extremely tired and a tad blue.

OK, actually I feel like curling up in a ball and sleeping for 20 years. Like Rip Van Winkle. 

Do you remember that story? I do. It scared the bejeebers out of me as a kid!

Funny, when I looked up the story, it is not how I remember it.  I remember Rip Van Winkle meeting some strange men and saying he was so tired, he wished he could sleep for 20 years. And then he took a nap and woke up 20 years later. 

That is not exactly how the story goes:

https://www.bedtimeshortstories.com/rip-van-winkle-story

I used to get scared when I was tired, because if I said out loud that I wanted to sleep for 20 years I might just fall asleep and then wake up to find my world had been changed.


Odder still, my favorite  plot in movies and novels is now time travel!

I am an odd bird indeed.

Anyway, back to my fatigue., I am pretty sure it is blood sugar related. I will spare you the details, but I am back to low carb eating, pretty much keto. And now after only about 24 hours, I feel almost peppy!

I am still practicing intermittent fasting, not eating after 2 p.m. most days.  And I am cutting out carbs and sugar as much as humanly possible.


I made another lovely stew in my crockpot today: West African Chicken Peanut Stew. I served it with steamed cauliflower and sautéed kale.





I even managed to have a keto breakfast with my mom this morning. I had a green salad, no croutons topped with grilled chicken and bleu cheese dressing. I had black tea to drink. And after breakfast, my mother and I even went for a little walk at a nearby running track.

After breakfast, I went home and popped the ingredients in the crockpot for my stew and then went to the gym for a short workout and massage chair session.


I am feeling so much better today.  When I was at my most fatigued, I felt like someone had switched the off button in my brain. And if I were to lay down, I feared I would not wake up for 20 years. Like Rip van Winkle!


But according to the story, Rip was a very lazy man.  I say with pride, I am not a lazy woman!


I just enjoy me some chocolate, potatoes and bread more than I care to admit! 

Well - I just admitted it! First step to recovery!


On that note, I have a 3 year-old that wants me to dance to "Friend Like Me" by Will Smith on Aladdin.  


Gotta boogie!


Talk to you tomorrow!


Love,


Zita


PS Today is Day 271 of my weighted hoop workout! Been doing it every day for about 2 weeks solid now. Even in the dark! Woot woot!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i