Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 264: The Call of the Void

 "L'appel du vide (French: lit., "the call of the void"): The instinctive urge to jump from high places. "When you're walking on the edge of a cliff and you get a sudden urge to jump ... it is a very peculiar sensation. Most people have had this experience because it means a sudden sense that you cannot trust your own instincts."


Good Afternoon Friends!

Another glorious fall day here in the Couve. I am still feeling pretty fine!  I have made a few tweeks to my diet that I think have helped, in addition to my mindfulness and movement training.

I am still practicing intermittent fasting. Most days I do not eat anything after 2 p.m. I drink only water, tea and some night a shot of vodka before bed. My weight is stable, but I would like drop another 20 - 30 lbs.

I have noticed a trend that other intermittent fasters joke about. When the 2:00 hour approaches, I feel a bit panicky. I often have something sweet as a treat to hold me over until the next day. True confession here, I have been hiding boxes of Twinkies and Hostess Cupcakes in my room.  

I told myself they are for "emergencies", but most days I indulge.  And then within 30 minutes, I feel my energy crash. If time permits, I lay down for a brief nap before my afternoon teaching begins. But this is not little "shut my eyes for a little while". No! The minute I lay down, I pass out! 

Thankfully I have the forethought to set my alarm.  When it goes off 30 to 45 minutes later, I am often disoriented and very groggy. At that point I allow myself a Diet Coke to pick me up and get into Teacher Zita mode.

Yesterday, I got into warrior mode as I saw the 2:00 p.m. hour approach. I told myself no Twinkies today! I had a handful of trail mix - mostly nuts with a few bits of dark chocolate.

And I had no afternoon crash!  This morning I woke up clear headed!

I am going to attempt to seriously limit my carb intake from here forth. I am still on a cooking rampage. This morning I made a frittatta with mushrooms, spinach, onions, sweet peppers and fresh tomatoes topped with cheese. For lunch I had my amazing beef stew from yesterday. I made the decision to substitute turnips for the potatoes, making it a keto stew!










I tried keto about a year ago. But I found it difficult to stick to. 

I am good with intermittent fasting, but not ready to go full keto. I do better adding good food into my life, rather than telling myself what I can't have.

Well, I think I am going to nix the Twinkies and Hostess Cupcakes! Pretty much anything made with white flour and sugar. 

So I am going to focus on more low carb veggies, meat, nuts, beans and fruit.  

As long as I am feeling so good, I might as well lose this spare tire around my middle and look good too!

OK, enough about my battle of the bulge. About the quote up there...

I was reading a book in bed last night: A memoir called Mid-Life Ex-Wife by Stella Gray. It is laugh out loud amusing, but also painfully honest. I really resonate with the author in many ways.  But it is just dang entertaining!  And I learned a new word: Basorexia.  Which means "the sudden urge to kiss someone". 


Of course the first thing I did when I read it was text my man. He's back in Vegas again. He was sleeping, but this was the text he woke up to early this morning:

"I just learned a new word. "Basorexia: The sudden urge to kiss someone." That someone being you."

Followed by many little kissy faces. 

I was curious, so I Googled basorexia. And I discovered another word!  The one from the quote above. I found it on the site https://www.inc.com/justin-bariso/26-emotionally-intelligent-words-from-around-the-world-you-really-need-to-know.html#:~:text=Basorexia%3A%20The%20sudden%20urge%20to%20kiss%20someone. which talks about the book, 

The Book of Human Emotions: From Ambiguphobia to Umpty -- 154 Words from Around the World for How We Feel by Tiffany Watt Smith.  


I may have to buy this book!  However, I digress. The reason the words "L'appel du vide" (French for "the call of the void") jumped out at me is because I've experienced this. Many many times. I tell friends I have a fear of heights. I cannot walk to the edge of things.  Not so much a fear of falling, but a fearing of flinging myself out into the void! I did not know this was a thing!

So nice to know I share my phobias with other humans. See? We are not so different!

But now I need to end this post. I am going to fling myself out of here for a nice fall stroll through the park.

I wish you all love and peace.

Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i