Skip to main content

Day 241: Geronimo, Borscht, A Secret WWII Internment Camp and Prayer!




I am looking forward to getting back to my normal routine again.  Cranky and irritable, I am!

I watched the movie "Geronimo" last night.  It stirred up the old feelings of anger and frustration at our ancestors that robbed these people of the dignity and way of life.  I stayed awake late thinking about how so many cultures are destroyed by a dominant group.  And it is still happening.  What would this country be like if we had allowed the Apaches and all the other tribes to live free?  Maybe we wouldn't be here at all. 

Humanity. It sucks sometimes. I downloaded a book about Geronimo to read on my Kindle.  While searching the internet, i stumbled on some information I had never known.  The Crystal City internment camp in Texas in World War II. 
You can read about it here. http://tpr.org/post/texas-matters-secret-history-crystal-city-wwii-internment-camp#stream/0 I have more reading to do. But I honestly had never heard about this before. I need to download another book:

"


 The above book is next on my list! I'm downloading a sample as I type this, so I remember what I'm reading next.

Yup, bookaholic I am.  Treatment I do not seek!

You know, it sure is tough getting back to work after winter holiday break and then snow/ice days on top of that!

My email is going crazy with requests from students needing to reschedule, musicians wanting to rehearse, family needing to get together....Oy!

But I started the day at the gym with my daughter. I did one mile on the treadmill, stretches, crunches, and then ended with another mile on the elyptical. I am avoiding weights for the time being because my left elbow is really sore. 

It's been like this for almost a week, ever since I had blood drawn last week.  The same arm. I wonder if there is a correlation?

I am kind of cranky today.  I think I have cabin fever. The roads are pretty clear, but the sidewalks are awfully slick, so I have not gotten out much besides the gym. But just walking from her truck across the parking lot was treacherous.  Many slick spots.


I am teaching a few piano students today. Usually I am eager to start my day. I enjoy the walk to and from the bus and to their houses. But today I am not looking forward to it.  I still have another hour before I have to leave, maybe the sidewalks will be clearer then. 

I am definitely stopping at Starbucks between students today. I have a light load. One student cancelled and there is no choir practice tonight.

But I am heading to the music center to practice after my last student. I also need to pick up some music. Our choir is doing the Mozart Requiem this term and I need to get practicing! :)

On a very positive note, my daughter made homemade borscht last night. Her best ever!  She roasted whole beets.  It was better than I remember their Ukranian babysitter's borscht.  And that is saying a lot!

I had a nice bowl with a dollop of sour cream for lunch.  Oatmeal mixed with brown rice cereal and quinoa for breakfast.  I'm feeling good about my eating. And my exercising. Now I've got to work on this attitude!

I just realized what I am missing today. God! How could I forget him!

I haven't been going to early Mass because of the weather.  But I can still pray and journal and read the bible.


And that is what I am about to do!

Happy Tuesday!

Z
Rejoice always, pray continually,  give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus." ~1 Thessalonians 5:16-18


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i