Skip to main content

Day 264: A French Chicken and Setting My Grey Free!

My French chicken!
My reading log!

On my reading log.  Do you see the grey "highlights" in my hair?

Yesterday I made a French chicken. A "traditional French roast chicken" from this site: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/28800/traditional+french+roast+chicken

Best. Chicken. Ever! The skin was crispy. The meat was juicy. And the pan juices from the bird dripped down and coated the vegetables beneath. I took the carcass later and made a bone broth . I will have a mug this morning. Before my piano practice.

Yesterday was a pretty good day. Despite my soreness. My left shoulder rhomboid area (underneath my shoulder blade) was aching. I tried stretching and ice to no avail. I am avoiding meds because they do not help much. Plus I worry about damaging my kidneys. A nurse practitioner friend of mine cautioned me about regular use of Alleve. It was the only med that took the edge off of  joint pain, but it is an NSAID (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug). Overuse can lead to many problems. Which I choose to avoid. I'll keep my pain, thank you very much! https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/consumer-reports-overuse-of-pain-relievers-can-be-hazardous/2011/05/18/gIQAiO2JMI_story.html

Yesterday, after piano practice, I set out for my walk. I was feeling the need for some solitary time. I grabbed y book of Islamabad my walking stick and headed out. I had an idea that there would transgenic spot in the Foster Flood plan area to sit and read r a bit. It was warm yesterday. Overcast, b but dry. Good adding weather. I found the perfect log to sit and read and meditate. I chose Psalm 16:

Psalm 16

miktam[a] of David.

Keep me safe, my God,

    for in you I take refuge.
I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord;

    apart from you I have no good thing.”
I say of the holy people who are in the land,
    “They are the noble ones in whom is all my delight.”
Those who run after other gods will suffer more and more.
    I will not pour out libations of blood to such gods
    or take up their names on my lips.
Lord, you alone are my portion and my cup;

    you make my lot secure.
The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
    surely I have a delightful inheritance.
I will praise the Lord, who counsels me;
    even at night my heart instructs me.
I keep my eyes always on the Lord.
    With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.
Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;

    my body also will rest secure,
10 
because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead,
    nor will you let your faithful[b] one see decay.
11 
You make known to me the path of life;
    you will fill me with joy in your presence,
    with eternal pleasures at your right hand.

It was so lovely reading these comforting words, sitting on a log, listening to the birds call to each other, in my own little piece of nature off of busy SE Foster Road. I do crave solitude.

I weighed in at 184 pounds today! :)  I guess I can learn to live with the pain.  Just want to be lighter, healthier, and happier.  I feel like I am on my way!

Speaking of happier, I've always noticed this deep longing for "freedom".  All my life, wanting to be free.  When I was young, it was free from authority and rules.  As I got older, free from judgement and hostility.  Now, I think it's freedom to be me! 

One of my students commented the other day that she "loved my grey highlights in my hair"! :)  lol.  I've decided to let my hair be natural.  I got my first grey at age 17. It horrified me. I was in the restroom at high school. I actually screamed. Scared the other girls.  But they nodded in agreement when I showed them what I had found.

I've covered my grey ever since. But now, I'm ready to let it show. I've earned it. I have nothing to prove or hide. I am however, considering putting purple and pink streaks in it once it is completely grey.  Rebel that I am.

Hey, I'm a piano teacher. It's not only ok, but often expected for us to be eccentric!

Today I am going to stretch to Symphony Number 1 in c minor by Brahms:
Pretty intense, but made for a good stretching session.

My hymn of the day is: 
Alas, and Did My Savior Bleed
Words by Isaac Watts (1674-1748), Music by Hugh Wilson (1764-1824(
Alas! and did my Savior bleed,
and did my Sovereign die!
Would he devote that sacred head
for sinners such as I?
2 Was it for crimes that I have done,
he groaned upon the tree?
Amazing pity! Grace unknown!
And love beyond degree!
3 Well might the sun in darkness hide,
and shut its glories in,
when God, the mighty maker, died
for his own creature's sin.
4 Thus might I hide my blushing face
while his dear cross appears;
dissolve my heart in thankfulness,
and melt mine eyes to tears.
5 But drops of tears can ne'er repay
the debt of love I owe.
Here, Lord, I give myself away;
'tis all that I can do. 
 
 
The words of this bittersweet hymn were written by my idol Isaac Watts. Because of my interest in him, I have begun this journey of exploring old hymns.

You can read about Isaac Watts from hymnary.org:(http://www.hymnary.org/person/Watts_Isaac).

So now for some piano practice.  Today is rather wet outside. I think I may pay a brief visit to the gym before my piano students this afternoon.

Happy Thursday! :)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i