Skip to main content

Day 242: An Anxiety Attack and Honey the Therapeutic Dog





I had an anxiety attack on a crowded Trimet bus yesterday. I've struggled with pretty moderate to severe anxiety my whole life. As a small child, I remember a friend of my mother's looking at me oddly and then saying,"S-H-Y" in a hushed knowing tone.

I never raised my hand in the classroom. And I suffered severe stage fright. I've worked through most of it and have resigned myself to the somewhat amusing title of "socially awkward". I avoid dinner parties and most social gatherings. Unless it is family. Or if I am onstage (I have conquered stage fright, even the dreaded public speaking!)

These days my anxiety has turned to worry. Worry about my family, about the world, bills.  I have found prayer, exercise and keeping active mentally and physically help.

But yesterday was kind of scary.  I spent this morning laying in bed, snuggling with Honey Dog reliving yesterday to try and determine what triggered it.

Suffice it to say, I was on a crowded bus.  I started feeling dizzy and nauseous. My heart started thudding in my chest.  So hard I felt like everyone could hear it.  I felt hot. Light-headed. But the worst symptom was negative racing thoughts.  I tried breathing deeply. Closing my eyes.  But I felt like I would pass out. I knew if I got off the bus, I would feel better. Breathing in the fresh air. But I didn't want to be late for my student.

Everywhere I looked, I saw what seemed like evil.  I felt tension everywhere. I tried to not look at any faces. I looked out the window. But the motion of the passing cars made me more queasy. I looked at the walls and ceiling of the bus. But the words from the advertisements felt like arrows in my skull and turned my stomach.

I started to pray. But my prayers started going round and round in my head like a record on a high speed turntable.  (That is probably and outdated analogy, but it is what came to mind).   I looked down at my folded hands. I had bright pink gloves on.  I breathed deep. Somehow the color of my gloves calmed me a bit.  I swallowed to hold back my the nausea. Finally I made it to my stop and stumbled off the bus.

My head was throbbing, my stomach lurching.  I didn't want to throw up right there on Cesar Chavez Blvd.  I just stood there gulping the cold winter air. My heart slowed. My stomach calmed down. I found a peppermint in my purse.

And I walked to my student's house.  Her lesson went as usual.  The feelings had passed. But I was worried about the bus ride to chamber music rehearsal.

I sat at the bus stop, breathing deeply.  When the bus pulled up, it was one of my regular drivers. A smiling, middle aged man.  There were only a few other passengers on the bus. No demon faces.  The ride to rehearsal was pleasant.

But this episode scared me.  I talked about it with my daughter and son-in-law when I got home. He has had panic attacks. And his sister recently had one over the holidays.  They recommended no caffeine. But, I argued, I drink tea everyday and several cups of coffee a week!

My daughter gave me a vial of essential oil that her sister-in-law says helped her. It has lavender in it.  This morning I put some on my wrists and snuggled with the dog. For about two hours.  But when I got on Facebook, my pulse started to race when I began reading the debates about gun control and President Barak Obama's executive order to increase background checks.

I want to be informed. I want to be a part of my community. But I realize I am very sensitve. Especially now with my father rehabilitating from his stroke. My father who was not very kind to me when I was little.  A lot of emotion there.  And then with this ice storm, feeling isolated.

So Honey Dog and I just snuggled.  We call her the therapeutic dog. She lay down by my side and put her head on my knee. Then she took a deep breath and sighed. So did I. I could feel all the tension leave. My elbow even felt better! Then I got up and made a big pot of porridge and green tea with peppermint.  I am making some homemade kimchi. I am also growing some alfalfa sprouts.

I lost one pound overnight.  But if it was due to my anxiety attack, I will keep that pound!

I went to the gym with my daughter and had a good workout.  My mother called with an update about my dad. I let it go to voicemail.

What scared me most about yesterday was feeling like I was almost on the verge of losing control. I wanted to stand up and scream.

Perhaps now that my physical health has improved, I should talk to a counselor about the anxiety.

And tomorrow I intend on starting my day with early Mass.

But for now, I am just breathing.  And enjoying the clear sidewalks!

P.S. I am keeping my bottle of "Chill" in my purse in case the bus is ever an issue again.  It is an essential oil blend including lavender and sage.(http://bodyworksglobal.com/it-works-catalog/it-works-essential-oils-line/)

I am also going to lay off coffee and just stick with green tea. It has some caffeine, but not as much as coffee. (http://www.livestrong.com/article/288832-caffeine-in-green-tea-vs-coffee/)

Happy Wednesday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i