Skip to main content

Day 300: AKA TEN Months Baby! Warning: Embarrassing Before Pic!


Fat Belly circa 2007






Smaller belly March 4, 2016























One of my students moms sent me a picture of me about 9 years ago.  I cropped out the girls.  I wish I could crop out my stomach!  Back then I ate constantly.  I was under a lot of stress as a single mother. And I never stepped on a scale. I am guessing I was about 240 pounds at my heaviest.  Today I weighed in at 187.  53 pounds lighter.  I would still like to lose another 50. But I am not in a hurry. These life changes take time.

I am going out on a limb and sharing the fat belly picture of me. It is so embarrassing. But my aim in this blog is transparency. I am not a presidential candidate. :)


TEN MONTHS!

This is significant! I have been blogging about my journey to improved health of body, mind and spirit for 300 days straight now!

It has been quite a journey.

Here is my Day 1 Post:

The Time is Now!



"Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow. It only saps today of its joy." ~Leo

Buscaglia

So many thoughts.  So many excuses.  So much time has gone by. 

Truth is: I am 53 years old and obese.  Not pleasantly plump. Not carrying a few extra pounds.  Obese.  

What a horrible word.

But if you calculate your BMI, (which stands for Body Mass Index. According to the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute: "Body mass index (BMI) is a measure of body fat based on height and weight that applies to adult men and women.") and then take your little number and look it up on any medical weight chart, you will see where you stand.


There are many sites concerning weight and BMI.  Here is a link to the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute's:
 "Assessing Your Weight and Health Risk"

I am now coming out to the world with my BMI. 

My BMI IS:

Drum roll....

34.8! Ack!!!!!


The categories for BMI are: Underweight, Normal, Overweight and Obesity.  

So there you have it.  I am an obese woman.  I finally admit it. And now I am going to do something about it!


I've seen this before. But there is this little mechanism in my rationalizing brain that puts up a fight. It comes up with all kinds of rationizations.  Like "Sure, it SAYS obese, but you am big boned. You have more muscle than most women. You are too busy to deal with this now. Your job is sedentary - you sit all day! (I am a piano teacher), yada, yada, yada..."

PPBBBBLLLLFFTT....I call my own BS!!  I am overweight. Clinically obese.  I need to lose 60 pounds to be healthy.

And I've "tried"  all the diets in the book.   But half-heartedly.  I walk about 2 miles a day. But it is more like a waddle. 

Lately I've been more honest with myself. I'll talk more about this later. But the bottom line is that I need to take drastic measures if I want to regain my health and fitness.  Not that it is ever too late, but my life minutes are ticking by. And I could be enjoying a much higher quality of life.

I ache. I am uncomfortable.  I don't like my appearance.

I used to be fit.  Of course that was many moons ago.  I ran 2 miles a day when I was a teenager. Then I started weight training in college.  I danced in the discos again.

But then life happened.  Stress. Bills. Kids. Divorce. Food became my best friend.  

Well, FOOD, we need to talk!  This relationship is not serving me anymore!  I will no longer serve my cravings and tummy, it will serve me. By adding vitality and moderation to my life!

And I am going to add some pain. Yes pain.  Take it up a notch.  Work out harder and smarter. 

And I am starting to run again.  My goal is to run the Portland Marathon. But I will be setting smaller, more attainable goals along the way.

My name is Zita and I welcome you along with me on this journey!




Now 10 months later, my BMI is 33.1. Still much work to do! 

However, these are the improvements I note:
  1. Healthier eating. I plan my meals. Choose whole foods over packaged food.  I do not consume foods containing gluten. I read labels and choose organic and non gmo foods when at all possible.   I do not recreationally eat on a regular basis.  I do still enjoy eating.  
  2. Regular exercise. I was walking daily on the trail. Or going to the gym. Currently I am preparing for a concert. But I have continued daily yoga.  In addition, I walk briskly throughout my day; to the store, to homes of students, walking instead of hopping on a bus, walking to breathe and think.
  3. Daily prayer. This has been huge. I usually begin and end my day with prayer. I write in a prayer journal. I talk to God throughout my day. My prayers have evolved from, "God, please help me!" to "Thank you God!" I find my depression and anxiety have greatly diminished.
  4. Daily bible study. I started on a quest to read the Bible from cover to cover last year. I am currently in 2 Corinthians. My reading, study, prayer and church attendance has been filling the gaps in my brain like little puzzle pieces.  I intend on beginning "In the beginning..." again once I finish Revelation!
  5. Daily piano practice. I am a piano teacher and musician. But often lazy, relying on my pretty decent sightreading skills.  No more!  I must walk my talk. And skills diminish in all areas if not continually used, refined and polished.
  6. Closer bonds with family and friends. This was a bit difficult. I am introverted by nature. I do love people, but find I need a lot of alone time. But it has become increasing obvious to me that I need people and they need me. Hard work and sacrifice has gotten a bad name in this life. It is well worth it.
  7. Blood pressure:  My BP has been low and steady, especially since I gave up gluten. My brother tells me it is most likely the result of my weight loss.  Could be. But I am happy. I am 54 and taking no meds!
  8. I am happier. More peaceful. 
What I need to work on:
  1. I need to exercise more.  I have trouble with chronic pain in my joints, especially neck, shoulders, back and jaw.  Regular, sweat producing exercise really works in reducing my pain.
  2. I need to lose more weight. This will also help with the joint pain.  I am eating pretty healthy. I could cut portions. I also would like to cut back on meat.  
  3. I need to be kinder to myself.  I still do worry and get down on myself. Part of my Eeyore nature. But I intend on fighting it every step of the way.
  4. I need to lighten up and enjoy life more. My 23 year old son told me this yesterday. So on a whim, when I got done teaching early, I took him out to my secret, hidden awesome pub, "The Over and Out".  I had a smoked trout salad and an Elderberry Sparkler (Elderberry juice and champagne). He had an elk burger and a beer. We had fun! I even watched American Idol with him, my daughter and her husband last night.  I felt like I should have been practicing. But we had fun! I slept well! I am prepared for my concert tomorrow.   I could have just locked myself in my room and fretted and practiced. But I choose not to be a hermit.


I am about to begin my morning routine.  Largo from Xerxes by
George Frideric Handel. I play this on the piano. It is lovely. And today, day 300 I feel lovely.


And my hymn of the day is equally lovely. By the Fanny Crosby, "The Queen of American Hymn Writers":
I am Thine O Lord
Words by Fanny Crosby, (1820 to 1915), Music by William H. Doane (1832 to 1915)
"I am Thine, O Lord, I have heard Thy voice,
And it told Thy love to me;
But I long to rise in the arms of faith
And be closer drawn to Thee.
Refrain
Draw me nearer, nearer blessèd Lord,
To the cross where Thou hast died.
Draw me nearer, nearer, nearer blessèd Lord,
To Thy precious, bleeding side.
Consecrate me now to Thy service, Lord,
By the power of grace divine;
Let my soul look up with a steadfast hope,
And my will be lost in Thine.
Refrain
O the pure delight of a single hour
That before Thy throne I spend,
When I kneel in prayer, and with Thee, my God
I commune as friend with friend!
Refrain
There are depths of love that I cannot know
Till I cross the narrow sea;
There are heights of joy that I may not reach
Till I rest in peace with Thee.
Refrain"




HAPPY FRIDAY!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i