Skip to main content

Day 316: Meal Prep and Refocusing

Today is the first day of my spring break. A good time for me to refocus.


I started out with a workout at the gym with my daughter: treadmill, elliptical and stretching. Next we headed too the grocery store. My daughter has a plan. A very good meal prep plan. She had a detailed list- I was so proud! For under $100, we bought and prepped about one month of crockpot meals for our family. Of four! We set up a prepping station in the kitchen. We diced vegetables and packaged them with the meat and seasoning. She made labels, complete with simple cooking instructions and we tossed them in the freezer.  I do love a system!!




She went off to work. I thought I would log my food for today. This is a vegetable-focused day. I was craving jicama, of all things!


FOOD LOG 
Small gluten free banana pancake for breakfast.
Shared a small bowl of pho with my daughter for lunch.
For dinner: rice bowl of topped with shredded chicken, sauteed zucchini and onions, steamed cauliflower with Tahini sauce and kimchi.
For evening snack: polenta topped with parmesan, cauliflower, kimchi, sliced jicama drizzled with lime juice and a slice of grapefruit.
Dessert: one banana, sliced, topped with one tablespoon Cool Whip, drizzled with chocolate sauce.
Much tea and water.

My psalm of the day is Psalm 11. I have been looking at this psalm all day. I was a little puzzled by the meaning. I looked up some commentary and found a wonderful blog: http://psalmreflections.blogspot.com/2009/09/psalm-11.html

"Psalm 11 is classified as a psalm of trust. A lament psalm usually ends with a statement of deep trust in God (after the lament); a psalm of trust is like that, only the assertion of faith in God is the subject of the whole psalm and there is no lament (or, if there is, it is very small)...The words, “Flee like a bird to your mountain”seem to say: ‘Go to your tabernacle and worship; call on your God. Let’s see if he can really deliver you from this!’ The questioner seems to imply that the wicked will present an attack from which there will be no deliverance (“the wicked bend the bow; they have fitted their arrow to the string…," v 2). David does not respond to discouragement by lamenting his circumstances. Instead he turns to the LORD in whom he has already asserted that he takes refuge (v 1). The second half of the psalm is a bold statement of faith in the trustworthy character of his covenant God. Note how he repeats the name of God:

The LORD is in his holy temple;
The LORD’s throne is in heaven;
His eyes see, his eyelids test the children of man.
The LORD tests the righteous but his soul hates the wicked…
 (Psalm 11.4–5)
The LORD will judge the wicked and will vindicate the righteous person. The reason is in the last line: “The LORD is righteous; he loves righteous deeds; the upright shall behold his face” (v 7).

We live in a society in which many dispirited people are asking in many different ways, “Where is God?” In reality, they are questioning the life of faith. The Bible asserts that God is the very foundation of life—there is no ultimate meaning to life apart from a vibrant faith in him and in his eternal justice." ~ Tom Lewellen.

Psalm 11

For the director of music. Of David.

In the Lord I take refuge.
    How then can you say to me:
    “Flee like a bird to your mountain.
For look, the wicked bend their bows;
    they set their arrows against the strings
to shoot from the shadows
    at the upright in heart.
When the foundations are being destroyed,
    what can the righteous do?”
The Lord is in his holy temple;
    the Lord is on his heavenly throne.
He observes everyone on earth;
    his eyes examine them.
The Lord examines the righteous,
    but the wicked, those who love violence,
    he hates with a passion.
On the wicked he will rain
    fiery coals and burning sulfur;
    a scorching wind will be their lot.
For the Lord is righteous,
    he loves justice;
    the upright will see his face.

Happy Monday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i