Skip to main content

Day 321: Sheol

 My daughter told me this morning my skin looked healthy and glowing "for a woman of my age". Lol! I will take that as a compliment. She saw the expression on my face, and said, "I mean, it has really improved over the last few days, Mom". :)

I am keeping up with 100 ounces of water.

Eating more fruits and veggies. Avoiding restaurants. Except for yesterday.

Yesterday I met a dear friend for lunch downtown at our favorite Chinese joint, The Mandarin Cove.  We both had the same dish: Sauteed chicken, beef and shrimp with veggies over brown rice. Pretty good. And a big improvement for both of us. I have know her for over 25 years.

After lunch, she had to head back to work, so on a whim, I jumped on the Max to the Rose Quarter. Bernie Sanders was due to speak at 12:45. I wanted to view the crowds. I got there by 1:00 and there were a few people milling about outside, but a very small line to get through the security checkpoint, which was impressive - almost like going through an airport terminal! I heard the crowds cheering from inside the Moda Center. This was a chance of a lifetime, I told myself. So I put my purse and bag on the conveyor belt. Alas, they made me remove my mace (oops!) and my water cup!  He told me I could hide it somewhere until after the event. Which I did. And I was able to retrieve.

Bernie was awesome. The crowd was filled with love, and excitement for this man who exudes such humility. I didn't stay for the entire event. I had promised my daughter I would get home to turn the crockpot down to low for the turkey chili.

There was a bird flying around the Moda Center, up in the rafters. Later on Facebook, I discovered this little bird, a sparrow, had landed on Bernie's podium!  He had the sweetest smile as he and the little bird looked at each other. The crowd went wild cheering. He took the moment to say this was symbolic. This little bird symbolized the dove who wanted world peace.

I am sold. I was on the fence this campaign, but I am now "feeling the Bern!"

Today we are celebrating my daughter's 26th birthday. And my brother's birthday. They were born a few days and many years apart.

We are making a roast turkey, so I don't have much time to blog. However, we did make it to the gym and a quick sauna. I had an interesting conversation with a Trump supporter in the sauna.  I like this gym with the hydro therapy. It gives people a time to relax and talk.  Like the old days!

 
My psalm of the day is psalm 16, a"psalm of trust".


PSALM 16
Keep me safe, O God;
in you I take refuge.
2I say to the LORD,
you are my Lord,
you are my only good.
3As for the holy ones who are in the land,
they are noble,
in whom is all my delight.
4*They multiply their sorrows
who court other gods.
Blood libations to them I will not pour out,
nor will I take their names upon my lips.
5LORD, my allotted portion and my cup,
you have made my destiny secure.b
6*Pleasant places were measured out for me;
fair to me indeed is my inheritance.

II

7I bless the LORD who counsels me;
even at night my heart exhorts me.
8I keep the LORD always before me;
with him at my right hand, I shall never be shaken.c
9Therefore my heart is glad, my soul rejoices;
my body also dwells secure,
10For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol,
nor let your devout one see the pit.*d
11You will show me the path to life,
abounding joy in your presence,
the delights at your right hand forever

These are beautiful words.  About loving God and trusting in Him. But then there is the  verse about "Sheol" and the "pit". 

According to the urban dictionary: 

 "Sheol is Hebrew for “the grave pit” or “mankind’s common grave.” Sheol is not a place, rather than a period of time while people are dead and waiting to be resurrected. Sheol is the most common word to be substituted by the word hell. Bible scriptures that describe the characteristics of Sheol explain it to be exactly how we would describe our dead; buried under the ground, no consciousness, no knowledge, no pain, no joy, no hope. King Solomon explained the unconscious state of the dead in detail when describing sheol –" http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sheol


I am typing this post from the library. I needed to print some music for church tomorrow. Interestingly enough, I walked through the graveyard across the street to get here. I have never done that. I came a different route. And I was filled with peace and wonder. I peered at some of the tombstones and thought about all the lives lived, and families connected to these departed.  I used to have an eerie fear of graveyards. But today I felt quite peaceful.  It was also a very nice walk, with a path and large trees.

All this on Holy Saturday. The day Jesus lay in the tomb, before he was resurrected. The Catholic church said he "descended into hell".  Interesting that my psalm of the day talks about Sheol...
I have so many more thoughts, but turkey awaits!

Happy Saturday

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i