Skip to main content

Day 325: On a Clear Day, Portlanders See the Mountains!

Portlanders are a rare breed.  We get super excited about the weather. Most of us do not mind the rain so much, because when the sun does come out from behind those clouds, it is glorious! Green, blooming, fresh air. Yes indeed. Another beautiful spring day in Portland!

Everyone I talked to today spoke about getting out and enjoying the sun.  And most of them also talked about how many mountains they could clearly see. Including me!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Hood
I began my day with a lovely chamber music rehearsal. Two sweet violinist females picked me up and took me to one of their lovely homes. This house sits on top of a hill and had the most clear view of Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Rainier and Mt. Adams that I have ever seen! Plus her cherry tree was in full bloom.

Then I went home and made a bit of breakfast, cleaned and practiced. I was planning on going to the gym, but then my son called and asked me if I would like to walk the Tilikum Bridge since it was such a beautiful day. I, of course said I would love to.  But then I kept thinking about the view of the mountains. And the Grotto popped into my head. I suggested we go there instead. He was a little hesitant. He has told me that he believes in God, but when I lecture, preach, or otherwise try to influence him spiritually he feels like resisting.  So, I backed off a bit. I mentioned, when he got home that the view from the upper level would be spectacular today. He relented. And the view was spectacular. We even sat in the observation chapel and watched a plane descend and land at the Portland International Airport. He also walked the labyrinth with me!



A very good day indeed!

My psalm of the day matched the glorious weather.  And it brought to mind a work by Haydn from "The Creation": "The Heavens are Telling the Glory of God." I have often played a piano arrangement of this for the end of church services.  It is big and dramatic.  I liked sending forth the congregation in a state of exilaration!


Psalm 19
The heavens proclaim the glory of God,
and the firmament shows forth the work of his hands.
 Day unto day takes up the story
and night unto night makes known the message.

No speech, no word, no voice is heard
 yet their span extends through all the earth,
their words to the utmost bounds of the world.

There he has placed a tent for the sun;
 it comes forth like a bridegroom coming from his tent,
rejoices like a champion to run its course.

 At the end of the sky is the rising of the sun;
to the furthest end of the sky is its course.
There is nothing concealed from its burning heat.



The law of the Lord is perfect,
it revives the soul.
The rule of the Lord is to be trusted,
it gives wisdom to the simple.

The precepts of the Lord are right,
they gladden the heart.
The command of the Lord is clear,
it gives light to the eyes.

The fear of the Lord is holy,
abiding for ever.
The decrees of the Lord are truth
and all of them just.

They are more to be desired than gold,
than the purest of gold
and sweeter are they than honey,
than honey from the comb.

So in them your servant finds instruction;
great reward is in their keeping.
 But who can detect all his errors?
From hidden faults acquit me.

From presumption restrain your servant
and let it not rule me.
Then shall I be blameless,
clean from grave sin.

.May the spoken words of my mouth,
the thoughts of my heart,
win favor in your sight, O Lord,
my rescuer, my rock!


Happy Wednesday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i