Skip to main content

Day 312: The Potato Chip Incident

I had a nice day in Salem. It is always like a mini vacation, riding the Amtrak down to Salem.  Relaxing in a cushy seat. Looking out the window at the sky.  Stopping for Indian food. But then...


Unfortunately I did not pack a lunch today. I was trying to travel light to see if that helped my joint pain. I started out great. I had a raw veggie tray, hard boiled egg and hot tea from my favorite barista/deli guy at Union Station. I felt quite in control munching on raw veggies and sipping tea on the bus down. My Indian buffet was delightful as usual. I had mostly vegetables with a bit of rice and some Tandoori chicken. But at the end of the day, heading back to the Salem Amtrak, I was famished. And tired. I stopped at Burger King and ordered a chili dog- without the bun, onion rings and an unsweetened iced tea. I could have stopped  there. But at the station, I was feeling in the need of comfort. I usually fight the urge. But I felt like I needed a snack. I bought some Lays potato chips from the vending machine. I inhaled them whilst reading "comfort food" recipes on my Kindle. Next time I will pack a lunch.

After the potato chip incident, I had an hour long bus ride to contemplate. I actually didn't feel too guilty. Stuffed, yes. But I felt humbled. I am not perfect. But I keep on keeping on. I decided to do some research on magnesium supplements. If I can break this cycle of pain, perhaps I can get back on track with exercise and healthy eating (and better sleep also).

I stopped at Fred Meyer back in Portland. Bought a bottle of magnesium, four Asian pears, a loaf of gluten free brown rice bread, some feta cheese and a bottle of aloe Vera juice. I feel redeemed.

I took 300mg magnesium with some aloe Vera last night before bed.

And I am pleased to  report that I slept like a log! And I do not feel so sore this morning. I also do n not feel as constipated if that's  not TMI. If it is, I do apologize.

I am about to get vertical and go to the gym

My psalm of the day is Psalm 7:

Psalm 7
" A Lament of David that he chanted to the Lord on account of Cush, the Benjamite."

Lord my God, I take refuge in you;
    save and deliver me from all who pursue me,
or they will tear me apart like a lion
    and rip me to pieces with no one to rescue me.
Lord my God, if I have done this
    and there is guilt on my hands—
if I have repaid my ally with evil
    or without cause have robbed my foe—
then let my enemy pursue and overtake me;
    let him trample my life to the ground
    and make me sleep in the dust.[c]
Arise, Lord, in your anger;
    rise up against the rage of my enemies.
    Awake, my God; decree justice.
Let the assembled peoples gather around you,
    while you sit enthroned over them on high.
    Let the Lord judge the peoples.
Vindicate me, Lord, according to my righteousness,
    according to my integrity, O Most High.
Bring to an end the violence of the wicked
    and make the righteous secure—
you, the righteous God
    who probes minds and hearts.
10 My shield[d] is God Most High,
    who saves the upright in heart.
11 God is a righteous judge,
    a God who displays his wrath every day.
12 If he does not relent,
    he[e] will sharpen his sword;
    he will bend and string his bow.
13 He has prepared his deadly weapons;
    he makes ready his flaming arrows.
14 Whoever is pregnant with evil
    conceives trouble and gives birth to disillusionment.
15 Whoever digs a hole and scoops it out
    falls into the pit they have made.
16 The trouble they cause recoils on them;
    their violence comes down on their own heads.
17 I will give thanks to the Lord because of his righteousness;
    I will sing the praises of the name of the Lord Most High.

Poor David! I read that this is one of the psalms he wrote when he was possibly being pursued by Saul.  I again can apply this to my life.  Not being pursued by human enemies, but by temptations, vices, distractions and my own imperfections. 
And potato chips.

Praying the psalms is helping me rise above this world.  It is strenghthening my faith.  And hopefully the magnesium will help my aching bones. I am ok if it is a placebo too. As long as I feel better!


Happy Thursday!  
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist