Skip to main content

Day 310: Magnesium

Starting my day at the gym.

 Need. This. Everyday!

And I repeat:

I need to start with exercise every morning! I have been slacking.  I have been distracted by the need to practice for many performances.  I have been in pain. It has been raining.

But these things are almost constant now in my life. I am a musician. I have performances. Hence I need to practice. I live in Portland, Oregon. Hence, the rain.

I hurt all the time. But I would rather be sore from exercise and know that I am making  myself healthy, then just be sore from whatever this is that is ailing me. And if I do not exercise, I will become weaker and flabbier and heavier...sigh.

I just found out that my father has Parkinson's disease.  The irony. That is his last name.  We do not know how long he has had it. Before the stroke? Did the stroke bring it on?  But he does need to exercise. We are all ganging up on him to at least insure that he walks daily.

So I will have to walk my talk!

I must give myself credit. These last few months of slacking, I have been doing daily yoga. Usually twice a day. And I walk.  I am a commuter, so I walk to the bus stop and from house to house on my piano teaching circuit.  However, as I have mentioned before, I usually have a large bag or backpack full of books, lunch, tea, stickers for students, etc. It slows me down.

I went to the gym today out of desperation. My morning routine was interrupted. It is all good. I was contemplating getting vertical when I heard voices. Not inside my head. Loud, happy male voices coming from the kitchen. My son-in-law was hosting a bible study. So, I decided it would probably not be appropriate for his mother-in-law to come shuffling out to the kitchen in her flannel gown and slippers to put on a pot of water for tea.  Probably not so appropriate for me to do my yoga stretches in the kitchen while I waited for the water to boil. Also, most awkward to plop myself down at the kitchen table with my Bible, Beth Moore book, and prayer journal, because that is where they were congregating.

So I took a quick shower, said hello to everyone and hightailed it out to catch the bus to the gym. I had a nice workout and got to watch Dr. Oz talk about high glycemic foods.  This show was about low carb diets and how, although they were effective for weight loss, often contributed to constipation. Dr. Oz recommends lots of vegetable fiber, fruits (especially pears) and magnesium supplements!  Well that is the second time I have been advised to take magnesium this week - time to do some research!  And get some pears!

After the gym, I stopped at the little Mexican joint next door and had a small, black bean nachos and ice water. I did my prayer and bible study there.

Back home, I am practicing the piano and getting ready for a quick yoga session before I start out to teach.

I think the reason morning exercise works for me is that I am NOT a morning person. It gets my blood flowing and ready for the day. I like starting the morning with God by means of prayer and Bible study. But I tend to linger too long and then have to rush to get everything done.

There is a happy routine in here for me somewhere. I left a message for my doctor. I think getting to the bottom of my joint pain will help too.

But for now, here is my psalm of the day:  


Psalm 5.

Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my meditation.
2 Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God: for unto thee will I pray.
3 My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up.
4 For thou art not a God that hath pleasure in wickedness: neither shall evil dwell with thee.
5 The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.
6 Thou shalt destroy them that speak leasing: the LORD will abhor the bloody and deceitful man.
7 But as for me, I will come into thy house in the multitude of thy mercy: and in thy fear will I worship toward thy holy temple.
8 Lead me, O LORD, in thy righteousness because of mine enemies; make thy way straight before my face.
9 For there is no faithfulness in their mouth; their inward part is very wickedness; their throat is an open sepulchre; they flatter with their tongue.
10 Destroy thou them, O God; let them fall by their own counsels; cast them out in the multitude of their transgressions; for they have rebelled against thee.
11 But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee.
12 For thou, LORD, wilt bless the righteous; with favour wilt thou compass him as with a shield.

Now I am wishing I had read this psalm before I started my day. Perhaps that is part of the key to my daily routine. Read my daily psalm BEFORE I get up to do my morning exercise. 

LIGHTBULB!!

Psalm 5 is considered a morning prayer.  In Halleys Bible Handbook it says:
"Beset by treacherous enemies, David prays and shouts for joy, confident that God will protect him. David must have had many enemies. He refers to them again and again. Many of the most magnificent psalms came out of Davids troubles."

I have many enemies too:

Sloth
Gluttony
Low Self-Esteem
Doubt
Irrtability

Just to name a few. I need to pray this psalm daily!

Happy Tuesday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist