Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 15: May Love Prevail

I am very sad today. NOT depressed. Inexplicably sad.

Yesterday three men were stabbed. Two died. One was hospitalized. They were coming to the aid of two Muslim girls who were being verbally assaulted.

I was shocked to hear it happened on the Max train near the Hollywood Transit Center.  One of my regular transfer points.  It was hard to imagine such violence taking place there. On my precious Max train.  People often look weary on the train.  Usually keep to themselves, looking at their cell phones.  Sometimes you hear a few animated discussions. But they are usually happy teens, or young adults.  Once in awhile a screaming toddler.

But racial slurs, hate speech, and threats?

I was glued to the internet all day as the story unfolded.  So tragic. One of the young men who died was only 23 years old. One year younger than my son. I could imagine my son or his friends jumping to help just like he did.  It could have been one of them. Then I heard the second man that died was a father of four, an Army veteran and a city of Portland employee.

I was struck by the senselessness. And the proximity.  I could have been on that train, my friends, family and students could have been on that train.  But I was also struck by the heroism of these men that came to the rescue of these young women. One wearing a hijab.  Verbally assaulted because of her religion.

It came out in the news that the perpetrator was known to the Portland Police as a white supremacist. They said he was mentally ill. Had suffered a head injury. Somewhere I read that they did not consider him dangerous.

After I taught piano all day, I had planned to go to dinner and blog. And then maybe hit the gym.  Luckily, I did wake up early and walk/run 1/2 mile at the track before breakfast with the fam.

I gave in to comfort food cravings and went to Burgerville. I needed some serious comfort.  A cheeseburger (on a gluten free bun at least!), fries and a strawberry shake made a dent in my sadness. 

After dinner, I reached in my backpack for my yarn and needles. I knit a few rows on my grandbaby-to-be's blanket. With each stitch, I prayed for the victims of the attack on the train, the two men that died, the one man in the hospital, the two girls, and I prayed for the murderer. Then I prayed for the friends and families. Then I prayed for our whole city, state, country and world.  I knit another row praying for all my family members and friends.

I felt a bit better.  And man, Burgerville makes some tasty food!

I put away my knitting and pulled out my cell phone. Unfortunately, with all my internet viewing, my battery was down to only 7% charge. And Burgerville's outlets did not work. But I went on Facebook anway. Earlier, I had read about a vigil that would be taking place at the Hollywood Transit Center. Suddenly, I knew I needed to attend. I had just the amount of time and I was close to a Max station.

I posted a message on Facebook that I was heading down to the vigil. One of my friends from the church I work at messaged me and said she was coming with her husband!

I was a little nervous, excited and sad all at the same time.  I don't usually attend events with a lot of people.  Introverts like me fear crowds.

But this was a good cause.  Uniting for peace.  Coming together to show that we, as Portlanders protect our own and everyone else! We are a very diverse city. And whenever I've seen someone needing help, I see Portlanders come to the rescue.  I am proud of my city.

And my arms broke out in goosebumps when the Max pulled into the Hollywood Transit Center. Hundreds of people were flowing towards the field. Hundreds were gathered already. A little shrine was created along the fence, with flowers, candles and notes.  The police presence was strong.  I hurried down to the crowd. Unfortunately, when I was there, they did not have a sound system. I could not hear the speakers.  However, at one point, the people in the center starting to chant, "Not in our city!"

It was very hot.  Tri-Met bus drivers arrived with cases of bottled water for the crowd.  People of all color, size, age, shape and form were there.  A group of Muslim women in their hijabs proudly walked by.  People with children, dogs, many pastors with the clerical collars, people with all colors of hair, tattoos, piercing. All gathered together in solidarity.

It was beautiful. My heart ached. So did my back. I had my big piano teacher backpack on.  I knew I needed to leave soon. I wanted to sit somewhere  dark and cry. Alone.

I was planning on going to the gym. Maybe just to sit in the hot tub.

My friend from church arrived. I can't believe she found me amongst all those people! Nice to know I'm not invisible, even at my age.  We chatted and hugged.  We walked over to one of the tables that popped up. There were some beautiful signs being sold.

I told her I needed to leave soon. I was starting to get panicky. Crowds do that to me. I am proud of myself for lasting that long.

I made my way back to the Max. More people had added flowers and noted to the shrine.  The Max pulled up. I got on board and sank down into the nice, cool air conditioned seat. I put my sunglasses on and had a good cry.

I can't say anymore.  I have no more words.

But I will talk to you tomorrow.

God bless you all.  May good prevail...

Good night.

Love,

Zita










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist